Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Xp Takes Ages To Shutdown

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by shn@20 September 2003 - 17:49

Do you sit there with a stopwatch?
    Actually, yes I have.

I'm interested in how my system works.

For example, when I first read about BootVis, the author of the article claimed that he cut 30-40 seconds off his boot time.
    I wanted to see if this was true or just exaggeration so I timed my boot cycle before and after using the program.
    It does work, BTW.

My backround is with racing machines and you simply can't afford to hope that something will work- you have to know. Just taking someone's word doesn't cut it.
    Testing is the only way to know.

That's how I know for a fact that clearing your page file at shutdown makes a big difference.
    I timed it.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Originally posted by pol+20 September 2003 - 20:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pol @ 20 September 2003 - 20:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shn@21 September 2003 - 01:04

even your pics dont work, dumbass [/b][/quote]
    I have a better solution to all this.

------------------------------------------------------
    @shn

**You will be ignored from now on&#33;**

you better live in your own "denounced world."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    Originally posted by shn@ 21 September 2003 - 00:49
    Furst of all you cant disable services like antivirus, web server, ftp, and other services that you need.

The reason I made the analogy before is because a newly installed system with none of those services on it will shut down a lot quicker. The antivirus service alone will delay any computer from shutting down quickly, now add that to about 15 other services that some people, unlike you, do need and youll have to wait for those services to be shut down accordingly.
    &nbsp;
    God.
    You really don&#39;t have a clue, do you? You make yourself out to be this tech savvy linux user, but you&#39;re completely clueless. Who the hell suggested shutting down your av? I posted a link to a great site that explains clearly what services can safely be stopped.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Well for starters I wouldnt put linux in this if I were you. Whenever I do tell my linux system to shutdown, which is not that often, it shuts down immediately. However one thing you will see in verbose mode when you shut down a linux system is all the services that its shutting down. Whether they be inetd services or xinetd services it tells you that they have to be shut down accordingly.

The problem with xp is that it lets the services have full control over when they shut down and how. If a service stalls the its not going to shut down as fast.

Linux has a "service" (inetd xinetd) that takes control and shuts down all services whether they want to shut down or not, thus, shutting the system down cleanly and quickly.

So yes I do have a clue and you obviously dont have a clue that I could care less about what you are talking about.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    Poster
    Do you have a nVidia graphics card? One of the programs on it (NvSvc) makes to take a while to shutdown. You can shut it off with startup manager.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    if someone already posted this.. sorry (heh didnt want to read the whole thread)

Get Diskeeper 8:
    goto Action>Change your settings>Set a boot-time defragmentation

This should help.

If not, also:
    Get Bootvis:
    Run Optimize

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    Originally posted by shn@ 21 September 2003 - 01:22
    So yes I do have a clue and you obviously dont have a clue that I could care less about what you are talking about.

OK then. But don&#39;t you mean you couldn&#39;t care less. That&#39;s usually the way it goes.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by shn@20 September 2003 - 18:22

All the info about Linux is faintly interesting I suppose, but the original post is about XP.
    What Linux does/doesn&#39;t do is irrelevant here.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    Forum Star
    @shn - and i just noticed your edit on your pic on page 2, care to remove it, sicko ?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Can you please stop the flaming now?

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast