Thread: Quiet Pc

I'm considering buying some stuff off Quiet PC. I'm thinking it would be great if my box didn't make any noise - it would be f***in brilliant in fact!! Has anyone bought off them? What's the verdict?
    Cheers

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    hmm they got some stuff u cant find in alot of stores.. I say it looks like a cool place.
    Might consider buying something myself.. my pc's damn Power Supply and/or mobo cpu fan makes "System" noise when i try to sleep. Ushally i tune it out though.. lol like the tv sometimes.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Wolfmight@ 21 September 2003 - 00:36
    hmm they got some stuff u cant find in alot of stores.. I say it looks like a cool place.
    Might consider buying something myself.. my pc's damn Power Supply and/or mobo cpu fan makes "System" noise when i try to sleep. Ushally i tune it out though.. lol like the tv sometimes.
    Did you check out those cpu heatsinks.

Pretty nuts eh

I'm going to get the case insulation foam, psu, and a couple of case fans. Should be pretty cool not to have that drone all the time.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I've been doing quite a bit of reading about quieting your pc versus keeping it cool.
    You realize that for the most part it's a direct trade off?

Have you done any experiments to see where the bulk of your noise is coming from?
    My guess would be the PSU.
    If you get that taken care of first then you can proceed to improve from there.

The foam insulation will help only if you have a lot of vibration in your case.
    Put a half full glass of water on top and see if you have this problem.
    If not, you are only insulating your case which may make it run hotter.

Are your fans set up properly?
    Putting a large fan on the top can help a lot.
    Heat rises, so you are taking advantage of natural convection currents.
    A large fan can exhaust the same amount of volume at a lower RPM, so it is quieter.
    Get yourself a fan speed controller.
    That way you can adjust the fans to take care of the heat as you need to. At idle, or just browsing the web you don't generate the same CPU temps as more intensive use.

Whatever you do, make sure that you monitor your CPU temps.
    The quietest PC of all is one with a fried chip.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    WoW, check this out:
    TechTV Yoshi Mods: Quite PC,Project YS-2
    Man, i want to make one of those!

Test Results:

Yoshi's Project YS-2: 8 dB (120 Hz and above), 14 dB (100 Hz and below)

(if you dont know what sound db are, example: A Jet taking off is about 140 dB.. a wisper is about 20 dB.. Yoshi's Pc was 8-14db!&#33

Photos:

More photos

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Cheers for the tips

I've checked out what's making a noise. I've got a ducted 12cm fan on the rear of my case- it sits internally at 45 degrees facing the CPU. Also an 8 cm intake fan on the front. They cool really well, but make quite a bit of noise.

The PSU isn't actually that bad, but would certainly be noticable without the case fans. The cpu and gpu fans make a higher pitched whine, as you'd expect

The reason i'm considering the insulation, is to muffle the noise of the cpu and gpu fans. With a quiet PSU and new case fans of the same size, i reckoned that would be my best bet.

Don't you think the insulation would silence the internal fans? I'm interested to hear your point of view.

Edit:-

Cheers Wolfmight, that's a really interesting article. That box is completely mad I'll check it out more in the morning, gotta sleep now.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Yea, goto my previous post.. that guy Yoshi used the stuff.. seems to have worked great for him.
    Check out his supply list. (nice of him to share the supplys he used to make it)