Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Freaking Creditors

Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    I was just quoting Louis.C.K. Gimmie a break.
    Now go away.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Ah, I 'member that.

yo

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Unfortunately you got suckered into a creditors favorite scam. They settle on a number and then renig latter.

You should never make a single payment to a creditor with regard to a settlement without getting the final settlement amount in writing first.

Try to talk them down as much as possible on the remaining balance. Once a number is agreed to, tell them you'll make the first payment or total payment immediately after receiving written confirmation of the total settlement. I'd try to get them down to the remaining $200.
    Depending upon Local Statute, even this may not be enough and they can still go back on the Agreement.

Best to get SOMEONE ELSE to "buy" the debt at the settlement figure, with everything in writing. That way the settlement is a seperate contract with another party, and as such enforcable.

Give the money to your Dad or sth to settle for you.
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 03-23-2009 at 10:31 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    I'm sure they can renege on a deal if the debtor forgets to pay for a couple of months .

5. Lounge   -   #15
    I hate to be an asshole but you said, "I had a $900 credit card that went into debt, that I did not pay off 3 years". However, they agreed to waiver the fees/interest and have you pay $900 straight up. You couldn't afford that till 7 months later. When you did have the money, more than 3 years of the original debt, they said $1300 which seems fair considering it took you so long to pay up plus interest.

Also, when they said you missed payments, do you have records of actually paying them $88 monthly? If so, dispute that, otherwise stop complaining. They gave you so many breaks. Next time, pay your bills on time.

I hope you learned your lesson to not charge stuff you CAN'T afford. You should use a credit card when you don't have the cash on you but CAN afford it.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I hate to be an asshole but your an asshole

7. Lounge   -   #17
    BANNED BT Rep: +1
    It seems that by not paying for 2 months, you have defaulted on the contract and I'm sure this standard contract of adhesion provides for them to penalize and/or accelerate payment. In layman's terms: they've got you over a barrel because of the missed payments.

I feel your complaints though. These debt collection agencies are a real barnacle. Unifund is not the worst but they are pretty bad http://cincinnati.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Re...2&firm=6002615

8. Lounge   -   #18
    pentomato's Avatar Above the sun
    Try to negotiate with them, I am sure if you talk to a manager you may get a good deal, but remember if you own now $2000, and you settle for let's say 700, then you have to tell the IRS, they will find you and the 1300 is counted as income, so watch out.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by start View Post
    I hate to be an asshole but you said, "I had a $900 credit card that went into debt, that I did not pay off 3 years". However, they agreed to waiver the fees/interest and have you pay $900 straight up. You couldn't afford that till 7 months later. When you did have the money, more than 3 years of the original debt, they said $1300 which seems fair considering it took you so long to pay up plus interest.

Also, when they said you missed payments, do you have records of actually paying them $88 monthly? If so, dispute that, otherwise stop complaining. They gave you so many breaks. Next time, pay your bills on time.

I hope you learned your lesson to not charge stuff you CAN'T afford. You should use a credit card when you don't have the cash on you but CAN afford it.
    I thought only parents had the right to be that much moralizing

10. Lounge   -   #20
    I thought only parents had the right to be that much moralizing
    I'm tired of people playing victim and not taking responsibility.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast