Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Provider that allows load balancing?

I recently have been messing around with load balancing two cable connections together and have been getting some great speeds with Torrents and multi connection downloads from other sources but the few usenet providers I have access to only allow connections for 1 IP at a time per account. I understand why this is in place to stop account sharing, but I was wondering if there are any providers that allow it or have some kind of upgraded account that allows it.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    sure is;

buy this:

http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html

twice.

boom.

instant load balancing.
    Last edited by ericab; 03-24-2009 at 07:05 PM.
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Might be hard to work out so that each account goes out on the right interface from the router to keep the same IP. I'm not sure it's possible with my current config. I could just setup two different computers/connections but that kind of defeats the purpose.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    i understand what your saying, but you need to understand;
    if you wish to implement as complex a system as load balancing, you need to be willing to do the research on how to do so.
    there are a few methods available:

1) wingate

2) a virtual-machine of pfsense or clarkeconnect

3) a dedicated mid-spec computer with pfsense or clarkeconnect

4) a LB-2 VPN hotbrick, or similar dual WAN routers from XiNICOM, or NetGear.

remember all methods have many major drawbacks.

1) wingate; personally ive never used it for this purpose, but ive heard that its not incredibly effective, but does work, to an extent.

2) virtual machine; in order to access the net, youll have to boot your vm everytime, also its a drag on you main system session

3) dedicaded computer; youll end up spending $+/-500 or so for a decent spec machine which'll handle the load

4) dual WAN router; most home/small business dual WAN routers have limited throughput. usually +/-40Mbps is the max. if your bonding 2 30mbit cable connections and want the max, youll need to look into enterprise-class solutions to handle the data load.
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Ummm. I understand load balancing completely and have it working. I have a load balacing router with 2 wan ports that supports 100mbit, I don't need wingate, pfsense, etc. It works great for torrents etc.

What I need is a way to connect to a newsgroup service and get connections on both IP's while downloading from a signle NZB seemlesly. If I simply purchased another account as you suggested I would be able to connect via 1 ip per account sure, but how would I force each account to connect only through one of the IP's and how would I make use of more than one account when downloading a single NZB? It may be possible to setup the newsreader to make use of multiple accounts on the qued files I don't know as I've never tried but I would still have no way of forcing each account to use a seperate wan interface.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Duane View Post
    Ummm. I understand load balancing completely and have it working. I have a load balacing router with 2 wan ports that supports 100mbit, I don't need wingate, pfsense, etc. It works great for torrents etc.
    The reason it works 'great' with torrents is that you actually aren't connecting to a single server with the two (or multiple) lines/circuits. You're connecting to two separate streams coming from two separate hosts.

Back about 10 years ago, there were some dial-up ISP's that were supporting dual modem setups, with, if I can remember correctly, one particular manufacturer of dual modems (wasn't USR but might have been Cardinal).

Very specific; you need IDENTICAL line h/w on both ends of the circuit; there are commercial systems that some telco's support for 'bonding' multi-T1's and such (or DSL), but really nothing for 'consumer' application. $5-10K. Plus of course hefty line charges.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Again I understand how load balancing works...and why it works for torrents. It works on other any multi connection download at the moment, using a download manager.

Sigh nevermind.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Duane View Post
    Again I understand how load balancing works...and why it works for torrents. It works on other any multi connection download at the moment, using a download manager.

Sigh nevermind.
    Most usenet providers have multiple IP's on the backend mapped to a single hostname in a DNS round robin, or allow you to connect to multiple ports. Your best bet will probably be to get 2 usenet accounts from the same provider (or one account from 2 different providers, whatever), and then setup the routing rules on your dual WAN router to route each connection accordingly.

So for instance: Let's pretend that news.someusenetserver.com resolves to various IP's in the subnet 10.1.1.0/24. Create a routing rule that sends all traffic to 10.1.1.0/24:443 through WAN1, then a second one that sends all traffic to 10.1.1.0/24:8080 through WAN2 (or whatever ports your usenet provider supports). Then, in your usenet program, create a connection to news.someusenetserver.com:443 that uses one of your usernames, and a second to news.someusenetserver.com:8080 that uses your other.

All connections to the news server on port 443 will use one username and go out on WAN1, while all connections to the news server on port 8080 will use the other username and should go out over WAN2. You can do the same thing using a few of the IP's in the DNS RR that the hostname resolves to instead of ports... altho using ports would be a wiser choice in my opinion.

Essentially, you need to find a way to differentiate the two connections (either via port or IP) so that you can setup custom routing rules to send traffic exclusively over WAN1 or WAN2 on your router. Then you setup your usenet program to use one account that always adheres to the WAN1 rule and a second that always adheres to the WAN2 rule.

-- Korben

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Exactly what KorbenDallas said. I've been using Astraweb with load balancing. You need two accounts (still cheaper than Giganews.) and you can just use different ports. Astraweb allows you to use many different ports. Just set user connection to use one port and the other to use the other port. Then set it up that way in your router.

P.S. I've been here for 4 years and I'm still a "noob".
    Last edited by bobabc; 04-02-2009 at 04:49 PM.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    I share an unlimited newsbin account with someone else, so im happy that they dont IP monitor. We do have to share the 4 ports though (2 each)...which may limit you
    <insert signature here>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast