Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone experience high incomplete article at Astraweb?

I just signed up for Astraweb $11, but I am quite disappointed, I downloaded a few blurays, and all of them were incomplete. Not too bad, each only has a few article missing 1 or 2 block. Problem is repairing one of those takes like 20 minutes. Since I get 6 MB/s free school bandwidth so sitting there 20 minutes repairing it is really unproductive.
    Does anyone has the same problem or that's just me?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    I have not had any issues with astraweb, I have a lot of friends also using it and have not complained either.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    It might be group specific, especially if it is on the edge of retention. More details are needed to ascertain the issue. I have had similar problems in a.b.dvdr when it is at the fringe of retention but also when it is sloppily reposted by someone even if it is well within the retention, at least it seems.
    Last edited by abdvdr; 03-19-2009 at 02:31 PM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    dutchmaster420's Avatar God's Son
    i hardly have to repair anything with astraweb...i just got something at 213 days and no repair needed...also when there is only a few blocks missing it never takes more than 7min to repair on my old crappy lappy so i dont know why its taking you 20min

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    never had a problem the article you are trying to download is just too old

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Hellish Blasphemer
    Oh it takes time to repair and especially extract big files.

It's a weird situation when the download is faster than repair/unrarring. (I'm on a 100 mbit line).
    For me astraweb gives me occasionally incompletes. Still happy with Astraweb though.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    dutchmaster420's Avatar God's Son
    o missed that it was blurays...so yea a few incompletes is going to take a while...any 4.7gb's i dl never take more than 5-7 min to repair

thats why there par files...theres going to be incompletes on any server every now and then

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    no, no problems here
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    i have downloaded a few 40 GB bluerays and never had any problem. I never download anything less than x264 HD which are around 4-10 GB... had one repair, problem was the newzleechers search didn't include the right files... i'm on 1000mbit (dn)/100mbit (up) so if there would be incompletes i would be angry Using sabnzbd...

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Lately I have to repair or redownload 5-6 files of 80-90 files. But I don't think it's Easynews or Straweb because if I redownload the file it checks out ok. I think it's my HDD actually or perhaps my ISP. This actually started happening like 3 months ago.

So yeah I have the same problem as the OP. I still have to figure out what causes some files to get corrupted. I really think it's eaither my HDD or my ISP. But this also happens if I download to my external USB drive.

Also I have got corrupted files downloading with IDM from rapidshare or even through Easynews web interface so really I think my ISP is probably the cause. Or maybe just my modem. However I get nice speeds and I the last time I called my ISP my modem levels were perfect. I get 1.7-2 megabytes per second and yes it's faster to redownload the files than it's to repair but sometimes it takes 2-3 tries to get the file to check out ok. I even got a couple of corrupted files using bittorrent so that's what I thought it was my HDD perhaps. I have updated my NIC drivers and my router is using the latest firmware from Nov, 2008. I guess this is kind of a mystery but now at least I know I'm not the only one having this problem.
    Last edited by saulin; 03-20-2009 at 01:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast