Thread: Need Help Getting Avi / Div-x Movies To Work

Hi all;

Well I won't beat arond the bush so here goes.

I mainly download AVI and DIV-X movies as their short size and fairly nice quality.
    I have a few now that work FINE on my PC.
    No probz at all.
    The thing is when I burn these to a CD and than try to play them in my X-Box or another DVD Player, they aint recognised.
    Now I know that some DVD players do not play AVI or DIV-X.....but is this true for the X-Box????

What could I be doing wrong??
    I used a a new later version of Nero 5.....I simply draged and dropped the Movie into the screen and than burned it to the disk.
    I had no errors and it played back fine on the PC.

I do not have a DVD player ot recorder on my PC, Nor do I intend to get one soon........I want to save money by getting the AVI/DIV-X movies and playing them.

Now I would like to know what could be going wrong????
    How do I get my DIV-X / AVI movies to play fine on the X-Box???? does the X-Box play these back even????

I know that my father is getting an expensive DVD recorder/player in the months ahead, and I know that this plays basiccly all formats back...including the ones I am obsessed with LOL.
    Anyways is their a trick that needs doing???
    I am baffled some, as I read in a PC maga' [PC MART] just that DIVX and AVI should play on most DVD players....and that the DIV-X is a special compression software sued to bring down the size of a full DVD to one that can fit onto a normal CD.

These films I have, I know their AVI and DIV-X as it says so at the end of the filename.......but is their any sofware that can tell me if it is really that??? could it not be what it says and that why it dunt play????

Thanks for any help given.
    Cya soon.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    First off movies that are .avi must be encoded to .mpg before they can be played on anything and second no burned movie will play in a x-box unless u find something illegal somewhere that makes em play I don't know exactly cause I don't have one so don't ask me where can u get the program. That book your reading is right about one thing that DIVX and XVID are used for compression but just to make download faster and get improved quality. And if it says it's .avi that's what it is why would it be anything different from what it says unless there small clips that people often rename but not large movies.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Thanks man.
    So how could I get my avi/divx or any other movies from Kazaa [P2P etc] to play great on DVD players??? any tips ya have?

thnaks alot

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    Just encode them using tmpenc go to www.dvdrhelp.com to get all the help u need.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    you would need to encode these into mpeg like the earlier repiler said you can use dr divx which has a free trail of 28 days i think or if you have nero, nero will convert it to mpeg it self. you could also convert with this free program Encode using this also the dvd player needs vcd playback function

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    Do not ever use Nero to encode a movie just use the link he gave u it's tmpgenc

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    lol i was only giving him an option lol yeah it is pretty shite. i used it and got lip sync out of place

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    I see.
    So I convert it the way ya says.
    Make sure the DVD player supports that format.
    So does this mean that AVI movies cant be played on a DVD PLayer?
    I am sure I saw a DVD player/recorder that enabled AVI playback?

I am sorry for seeing dumb...but am new to this stuff [DVD].

Why does it have tobe converted to MPEG?

thanks for help.
    sorry for all the questions.

cya

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    BANNED
    I am sure I saw a DVD player/recorder that enabled AVI playback?
    There is mate,just search this forum or google for kiss dvdplayer and u should find plenty of info.

Why does it have tobe converted to MPEG?
    Because dvd,vcd etc are mpg.