Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated Servers - Where's your box? What do you think of your host?

Vars
    I've been with a handful of hosts, some good, most bad. I'm created this thread to get others opinions about hosts, their policies, which countries are 'safe' and all the other stuff that people have to think about before ordering a dedicated server.

1) Leaseweb
    I haven't had a box with Leaseweb in over two years, so this may be a bit outdated. Speeds were good, but the server was expensive and the 2TB bandwidth cap was a pain. I didn't interact much with their support, so not much to say about that. 10mbps 'unmetered' aren't useful since it's really a 3TB per month limit and pretty slow.

2) PRQ
    Don't recommend. Hard to get in to; expensive; little-to-zero support which can take days to weeks to respond.

3) OVH
    Speeds are good-ish (feel's a tad oversold) until they decide to limit your box and you're stuck with only a handful of megabits. Of the 40-something servers I've had with them, there were 5 dead hard disks, a dead replacement hard disk, dead ram, and a dead power supply. All of them ended up limited. Support is alright, although you have to nudge them some times, and normal tickets can take around a day for a response. Their recent attack on seedboxes makes them useless though.

4) server.lu
    Absolutely amazing speeds (undersold network) at a great price. Hardware is pretty good, fast processor and lots of ram and hard disk space. They fail miserably at support, though. You can't yet order more servers from the control panel, so you have to order via ticket, and it can take them 3-4 days to get around to invoicing you (they won't even respond to say they're looking at it, so you don't even know if anything's happening). I've also had a decent amount of dead hard disks, and a dead power supply. Took about 3 days to get each of those repaired. They say I was compensated (extra days), but it doesn't really show that anywhere in the control panel, so no way to verify. Recommend if you only plan on having a few servers and not interacting with support.

5) SoftLayer
    By far the best host I've ever been with. Consistent 100 Mbps (I had Gbit, but no easy way to test that). Support is absolutely amazing and can help you with most everything, with a response within a few hours (even at night). All hardware is certified tested before being released, and you can run an automated hardware test directly from the control panel. Their control panel is by far the best for any host I've ever been with. You can control absolutely everything, and it's chock-full of information. Servers come with an IPMI card, so even if you break networking you can get in. They also provide a VPN and 'private network' so all data between you and your server is secure. Helpful forums full of experienced sysadmins. 2TB bandwidth caps and being in the US don't really make them suitable for seedboxing, however, their policy seems to be "don't get us in trouble and we'll look the other way" (aka no filtering / monitoring). Recommend if you can afford them.

So, what do you have to say about a host? Please only review hosts you've actually personally purchased servers from and interacted with.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Seedbox Provider
    I think this is different as he wants to focus on Dedicated boxes not people reselling them as seedboxes.

I'd like to hear more about hosting-ie, I've heard Keyweb is a dead end as far as torrents go, Dedibox also not very friendly on torrents & not available outside France. I've been checking out LeaseWeb but it's just too expensive for what I need.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    I think its a very useful thread Vars started off. Let me add my cents to it:

1) Leaseweb : its one provider ive never used before and I sincerely wanna give this a try especially on the gbit one coz unmetered 100megs is at 199E and gbit at 250odd . I would however share my expenses if indeed i plan to take this ruthless speed machine. Known to host many trackers but slowly and surely they are moving them off their network. Not sure if p2p is too safe.

2) PRQ - no ideas

3) Ovh - hmmm, ive been using them since my early seedboxing days so cant complain much and have been pretty reliable using them.

4) server.lu - the new baby in town rocks and gives the best bang for the price paid, quality of bandwidth is exceptional and it peers well just about anywhere

5) Softlayer - No ideas.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Six66Mike View Post
    I think this is different as he wants to focus on Dedicated boxes not people reselling them as seedboxes.

I'd like to hear more about hosting-ie, I've heard Keyweb is a dead end as far as torrents go, Dedibox also not very friendly on torrents & not available outside France. I've been checking out LeaseWeb but it's just too expensive for what I need.
    In my opinion Hosting-IE have great servers (hardware) and fast & unmeterd 100Mbits connections, but their servers with Gbit are too slow! Also they have very expensive setup fees. To sum up, hosting-ie its a good server provider if you choose servers with 100Mbps or 2x100Mbps connections, but not with Gbit

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    yeah the gbit on hosting-ie is shockingly slow :/ Also there setup times are horrible :S i had to wait 2 weeks for them to install hardware raid on my box

but i had a 100mbit VPS with them and it was just amazing

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    I have already tested Keyweb during several months and I can confirm their speed/reliability are excellent (so I think hosting-ie too).

The problem is more the cost of setup fees and the german language of the "manager". I've also read that Keyweb doesn't like P2P, maybe Hosting-IE is a better choice for seedbox ressellers or "powser users".

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    server.lu DS7000 here, best dedicated server Ive used. (all my passed servers were never for seedboxes though)

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Vars
    Yeah, I'm looking for reviews of hosts specifically, not seedbox resellers. You don't necessarily need to list the ones I put in the OP, I only put those there to share my experiences.

Anyone who's been with Leaseweb recently, I'd like to hear from as I think I may be getting a few boxes from them soon.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    i'm on a journey to find the best or the fastest seedbox out there...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast