Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dedicated Servers - Where's your box? What do you think of your host?

1) FDCServers (SiSHCO) -- Unmetered 100mbit Quad Core with 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive and Windows x64. The speeds are bad. Their routing is terrible and I haven't hit 10MB/sec download or upload on any of my high ranking trackers. I've complained and they said nothing. They have a new datacenter in Denver, but when I traceroute my IP, it says Chicago (their other datacenter) when confronted with this, they said I'm mistaken, even when I showed them a screenshot.

Hardware wise, it's good, but everything else is not. All my US peers get around 150kB/sec each, if that.

2) NetDirekt (JMHServices) -- This is an awesome box! Always max out my speeds with new torrents (12MB/sec down, 12MB/sec up) and I constantly upload 4-6MB/sec with 40+ torrents. Its a Windows box with a Dual Core E and 2GB RAM. I wish I had more HD space since 250GB isn't enough anymore, but I'll keep them because support is awesome and setup time is fantastic! Wish they had gigabit.

3) OVH (0utsystem.pl *change the 0 to an o*) -- Ordered an EG MAX and have been waiting for a long time due to availability. The reseller has given great customer service by offering me a *FREE* Kimsufi 4XL server to use while I wait for my EG MAX. At the time, EG MAX was way oversold and the reseller offered to get me an unmetered Leaseweb gigabit for the same price as the EG MAX. I was happy and he placed an order for it and forwarmed me the comformation from leaseweb. First they said 48 hrs, then it became 7 to 9 business days and after the 9th business day, they stopped responding to emails. The reseller disputed with Paypal to get the money back since 3 weeks have passed.

While he was waiting for a refund, he ordered an EG MAX since availibity was only 72 hrs. Keep in mind, he let me use the 4XL while all of this was going on. He could not control what was going on with Leaseweb or OVH, but still took care of me.

I finally got it today and since it took so long, he refunded my money and is letting me keep the EG MAX for one month. Can't get any better than that. This reseller has made dealing with OVH much more bearable. The support is great since it's a combo of email or live chat (MSN Messenger). Because I value support, I will continue to do business with him. As far as the performance of the 4XL, I can say it's been OK. I've hit 55MB/sec upload with it a few times, which is nice, but you can't do that with multiple torrents since the hard drive will be going crazy trying to read. What's good about OVH is that everyone has it, so having a gigabit with them is OK. Routing to other datacenters and overseas is medicore, but thats to be expected with the low prices they have.

4) Server.lu (seedbox.ws) -- Great resller and great dedicated server. No complaints, here. Support is available via IRC or email. I happened to use IRC since it was faster. I'm looking forward in getting a gigabit dedi from them as soon as it is available.
    Last edited by gueriLLaPunK; 04-07-2009 at 09:05 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Thanks for the good reviews, I take it that seedbox.ws's "solo boxes" are from server.lu?

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlpb View Post
    Thanks for the good reviews, I take it that seedbox.ws's "solo boxes" are from server.lu?
    Yup.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Seedbox Provider
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlpb View Post
    Yes and look at their Gold box $110usd compared to a DS4000, 60 Euro is just over $90 so what's the extra $20 for?

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Good question. But buying from server.lu you're also paying a setup fee for the DS4000 which makes it 180 USD for the first month. I think seedbox.ws takes that setup fee and divides it by 12. 90/12 = 7.5, but they round up since most people don't keep the server for a full year, plus their fees and support. Not bad, IMO.

Seedbox.ws speaks fluent English which is a plus too.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by gueriLLaPunK View Post
    Or learn a different language (German or French) for server.lu.

Anyway, with the current/new preliminary server-agreements, everyone seems to be able to get discounts in the long run. And the info on server.lu I've gotten so far from several people, makes me kinda confident I will at least get a machine for 3 months and if things really work out for me, renew the contract for a year and/or get a second machine.
    Last edited by FransTormer; 04-08-2009 at 10:52 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    ^^Yeah I want to get a server.lu gigabit, but it's going to be very expensive I guess I'm just gonna stick with my OVH in the mean time.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Seedbox Provider
    Quote Originally Posted by gueriLLaPunK View Post
    Good question. But buying from server.lu you're also paying a setup fee for the DS4000 which makes it 180 USD for the first month. I think seedbox.ws takes that setup fee and divides it by 12. 90/12 = 7.5, but they round up since most people don't keep the server for a full year, plus their fees and support. Not bad, IMO.

But as a reseller on the old agreement they get free setup and a discount, which anyone visiting server.lu could read before they took it down a few days ago. As long as the service/support you get is excellent I suppose its worth it, but that much mark up on retail when they get like 25% discount + no setup to me is obscene. I would never and have not priced any of mine in such a way and hope I never have to.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    I wasn't aware of the 25% discount the resellers received, plus the no setup fee. Good to know!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12