Thread: What makes a private tracker private?

thisjustin
    Lets say I'm downloadin movies on a private tracker like HDbits or what have you. Can my ISP see what I'm dling? My friends have gotten letters from their ISPs about pirating movies but I think they mainly use public trackers... is there a difference?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    BANNED BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    The fact that you need an account on the tracker in order to get full access on the site makes the site a private tracker.

I think....

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    RedRansom's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    here we go again...
    if you ara so paranoic use a seedbox (you can also get files with ftp client) or ssh,proxy,vpn but these days some trackers go with https for more security but if you ask me if some want to cap you it will!but i dont think pirating is so much illegal cuz they already know p2p is a free advertisement of bazaar...

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    SunKing's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    I'm almost postive that an ISP can determine the type of transfer (ex. bittorent) but not specifically what you're downloading. Downloading from a private or public tracker however I believe makes no difference.
    Last edited by SunKing; 03-31-2009 at 09:21 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    no_bother's Avatar Village Troll BT Rep: +4
    They can pick up on the transfer, but they dont usually notice anything unless your on something with hundreds of peers(like TPB etc.) My ISP has a 3 strikes rule, and I ahvent even had one warning.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    its privacy.
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRansom View Post
    here we go again...
    Its quite funny pal

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    of course there is. public trackers are what their name says, they are available to anyone without further conditions. private trackers limit their users by the need of having registered account. registering new account can be further subjected to invitation from user already registered on the tracker. private trackers are less probable to have kinds of RIAA or MPAA lurking... you can further limit the danger by using some IPblocker like peerguardian.

as for your isp, you can usually encrypt your transfers. as someone mentioned, if you're super paranoid, get a seedbox and use SFTP or ftp with SSL when tranfering downloaded stuff home.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    where are you from ?

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by thisjustin View Post
    Lets say I'm downloadin movies on a private tracker like HDbits or what have you. Can my ISP see what I'm dling? My friends have gotten letters from their ISPs about pirating movies but I think they mainly use public trackers... is there a difference?
    Either the movie is tag by MPAA or one of the agent was part of the swamp and can see your friend IP when he dl. MPAA then inform your friend ISP.
    There is little chance your ISP knows directly.

U2VjdGlvbjQ3