Thread: In dead of night,16 French lawmakers approve bill punishes accused downloaders

SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    In the dead of night, 16 French lawmakers approve bill that punishes accused download

Do not cue the stirring and courageous strains of La Marseillaise: In an unscheduled late-night vote with just a few lawmakers present, French Secretary of State Roger Karoutchi pressed the National Assembly to vote immediately on HADOPI, the controversial "Creation and Internet Law" that would deprive citizens of Net access for up to a year if they're accused of illegal file-sharing. The bill passed 12-4.

The Open... blog has a useful translation of Numerama, one of the first French-language blogs on the scene. French observers reported earlier this week that HADOPI will be enforced in part by software to be installed on every computer, keeping the machines under constant surveillance by the users' ISPs.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Fran...net/1238713353
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 04-04-2009 at 02:28 AM.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    French observers reported earlier this week that HADOPI will be enforced in part by software to be installed on every computer, keeping the machines under constant surveillance by the users' ISPs.
    People would could will just buy another computer obviousment.

yo

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Thatīs it?
    lol

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    French observers reported earlier this week that HADOPI will be enforced in part by software to be installed on every computer, keeping the machines under constant surveillance by the users' ISPs.
    Sure but what if it's inside your modem or something where you have to run to connect to them? Sure someone can surely crack it, but they know people are smart enuff to un-install it
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 04-04-2009 at 02:29 AM.
    [center]

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    they don't only want us to install their official spy, they expect us to buy it as well !
    those amendments have been voted by incompetent politicians who know nothing about internet ( Christine Albanel our Minister of the Culture claimed publicly that there was a firewall built in Open Office lol...).
    well, i won't go into details but this stupid law is simply inapplicable.
    Last edited by cinephilia; 04-04-2009 at 05:26 AM.
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post

Sure but what if it's inside your modem or something where you have to run to connect to them?
    How much are modems? $30?

yo

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Yeah, but you didn't catch what I said, if the software was made to use with the modem to connect to your ISP... what were saying now that's common knowledge, they will implement it so if you don't have the software, you won't connect sort of thing.
    [center]

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Yeah, but you didn't catch what I said, if the software was made to use with the modem to connect to your ISP... what were saying now that's common knowledge, they will implement it so if you don't have the software, you won't connect sort of thing.
    they won't implement anything into your modem...
    every internet user will be asked to buy this software and to install it on their computer but we don't have more details for the moment.
    wait & see.
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    French Anti-Piracy Law Doomed to Fail

Despite plenty of protests, the French Parliament passed a controversial new law last week that will see alleged copyright infringers disconnected from the Internet. Now, a new survey reveals that 60% of French Internet users are against the so-called HADOPI law. 69% say they believe it will fail.

The new legislation passed in France last week requiring ISPs to cut off the Internet access of alleged copyright infringers has never been popular with anyone outside of the government and entertainment industries.

The new ‘HADOPI’ (Creation and Internet) law introduces unlimited options for copyright holders to go after individuals and sites that are alleged to have infringed copyright, without having to actually prove that the accused are categorically guilty. Now, a new survey by French Institute of Public Opinion (IFOP) for LeJdd shows just how (un)popular this so-called ‘graduated response’ is with the public.

From a survey of 1004 individuals representative of the French Internet user, 60% of respondents said they were not in favor of the law (42% were strongly against), with a third saying they support it “somewhat”. Only those respondents over 65 years old showed greater support, with 53% in favor and 41% against. Despite this, 64% of the respondents in this category felt that the graduated response wont be affective at all.

Interestingly, there was no difference between the different age groups in the expected effectiveness of the new anti-piracy legislation. Overall, the majority responded quite negatively. Just 24% of respondents said that they felt the ‘graduated response’ would be “very” or “somewhat” effective, with a huge 69% believing it will fail.

As in most countries, illegal file-sharing is widespread in France. One in four of the respondents admitted that they downloaded copyrighted music or movies regularly. There is a clear generation gap here, as 40% of those younger than 30 years categorized themselves as active downloaders opposed to 6% in the 65 years and older group.

Not not everyone is sceptical of the scheme. While repeating the IFPI nonsense that 95% of all music is pirated, U2 manager Paul McGuiness writes that not only is the Creation and Internet law “the right solution to an enormous problem” but also “a fair and balanced solution” that “will work in practice.”
    [center]