Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got a dedicated OVH server but do not know how to start it....

BANNED BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlpb View Post
    I would recommend doing a reinstall with Ubuntu Desktop.Then you can just use NoMachine to connect as you would use RDP with windows. It is easier to use than debian because you get a gui and you can do many things simiularly as you would with windows.

But if you don't want to go that route,
    give:

sudo apt-get install vncserver wine xterm fluxbox vsftpd firefox vnstat

a try
    yo Carl thanks for the reply, but when I type it in it says this:

-bash: sudo: command not found

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    redMonster's Avatar Flying Without Wings BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Try apt-get install tightvncserver
    Click here if you want to join TTC

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Judging on the level of knowledge from pridah (no offense), I would also inquire having the machine re-installed with Ubuntu Desktop or (if funds allow) Server 2003 Web Edition although you need to shell out another 15 to 20 Euro/month for the license.

Debian is, in my opinion, not the most friendly OS to start with, especially if you got no/little experience on Linux-distros.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    redMonster's Avatar Flying Without Wings BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I don't agree with this. If he has to use the box only for a seedbox, he can do it without any prior knowledge. I remember I had my first box from leeware. I don't remember which OS it had, but it had the yum package manager. I didn't know anything about linux back then (Its another thing that I still don't know anything). But still I managed to set up my box with utorrent pretty easily. Now I don't take more than 15 minutes to set up any box I buy. And I am still a linux noob.
    Last edited by redMonster; 04-06-2009 at 11:39 AM.
    Click here if you want to join TTC

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Ofcourse we don't have to agree but something running out-of-the-box like Ubuntu Desktop could make life a lot easier and still have the opportunity to use a shell and/or a graphical file-manager to check/see/edit files where needed.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    private message carlpb to help you install he did it for my kimsufi and it runs and has run great ever since the guys a real gent

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Thanks for the reference dixie, I am glad to hear everything is still running.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    go to the manger and reformat yr os to centos 5.2 its the best,,, i try every os their and not work for me dunno why .. but c5.2 works like charm

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    BANNED BT Rep: +4
    changed my OS to ubuntu804-desktop - 32 bits

that should be easier, right? ^^

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Ok I jus wanna know if v can run and control a linux seedbox from a windows desktop??
    I mean If I am using windows on muy home computer, Can I have a Linux Seedbox. I am not able to get anything into my mind. Can someone please help me out??

@ redMonster: Hey even I am from India. U seem to know quite a lot about this. Can v have a verbal conversation so that things can b clearer for me?? I am not able to send u a PM, nor there are any contact details u have in ur profile. Can u please help me out??
    Last edited by ayush12345; 04-06-2009 at 10:56 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast