Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: is ratio-less the future?

brento's Avatar Poster
    i have recently received invites to both PTN, and GFT, and i have to say, ratio-less is simply an outstanding concept.

- people can leech what they please, regardless of how popular it is.
    - a good bonus system will give members a reason to seed the torrent for just as long as they would on a normal tracker.

so my question to you guys is, will there be a day when all trackers are ratioless? to me it seems like ratio-free is just so much better. opinions?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    BANNED BT Rep: +4
    no it will not become most popular in my eyes because there is no sense in keeping your torrent active after 48 hours. So most people who do not have seedbox etc. will just remove the torrent from utorrent if they have uploaded for 48 hours

so it's bad for amount of seeders.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Lucifer9999's Avatar torrentdevil BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    with a minimum seed time of, let's say, 7 days, yes, would be the next step in tracker world!!!

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    definitely not.
    it works for trackers like GFT, iTS or FTN cause they are small "communities" with more "conscious" users than the majority of trackers (even the collectors are more careful cause the tracker is "rare").
    put a ratioless system in any other tracker, it will (probably) fail concerning seeding time. many users would cap their upload speed for xx hours and only seed back on new torrents to buffer their account (to reach userclasses you know).
    actually, the ratio system is probably the only reason why people keep their torrent seeding for a while.
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    merwais's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Download any torrent you want and always limit your upload speed to 1kb, after 48 hours remove it

1 kb for 100 active torrents, after 48 hours remove and enjoy the life.

No Ratio = No Speed !

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Well as bandwidth becomes cheaper technology gets better as well, which means larger file sizes. You can see this in the 1080p blurays which go between 25-50 gb. So yeah I don't think no-ratio will ever become the norm.
    Last edited by T.S.O.L.; 04-04-2009 at 05:51 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    the thing is with ratio free u often need a nice fast box on each torrent so ppl can get decent speeds, else u just get loads of things with 1 slow seeder.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    No ratio is already becoming overused. Ratios are much better. Tbh the best system is one which incoporates seeding time as well as the ratio which tells you how well you are sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swepsycho View Post
    revtt and tl is n00bs...
    i don`t use mozilla n00b...... is addon in internet exp...?

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    no way.

a while ago the only tracker that had no ratio was FTN...maybe there were few more but FTN was the significant one from what i remember.

then another site iTS (?) implemented no ratio...and them bam bam bam no ratio trackers growing like mushroom.

all no ratio trackers that exist today still run on ratio free concept ftn created over a year ago! they still have those "have to seed to 1:1 ratio or minimum of xx hours" rule. none, have actually experimented with it. most of them have sticked with 72 or 48 or w/e hours seed time from day one....WHY? just for the heak of it.

most of these trackers probably have not asked themselves "does ratio-free really work?"...they likely just did ratio free coz it's 'kwel' to do so. i mean, if they actually knew if it works or not...if they actually had experimented with it, their seeder/leecher column in browse.php would not be empty.

just watch and see...90% of new ratio-free trakcer have or will phail.

P.S. i'm not against ratio-free concept. I love it. But i certaily don't like when trackers implement stuff, especially those that someone else already did, just for the heak of it.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by squirr3l View Post
    no way.

a while ago the only tracker that had no ratio was FTN...maybe there were few more but FTN was the significant one from what i remember.

then another site iTS (?) implemented no ratio...and them bam bam bam no ratio trackers growing like mushroom.

all no ratio trackers that exist today still run on ratio free concept ftn created over a year ago! they still have those "have to seed to 1:1 ratio or minimum of xx hours" rule. none, have actually experimented with it. most of them have sticked with 72 or 48 or w/e hours seed time from day one....WHY? just for the heak of it.

most of these trackers probably have not asked themselves "does ratio-free really work?"...they likely just did ratio free coz it's 'kwel' to do so. i mean, if they actually knew if it works or not...if they actually had experimented with it, their seeder/leecher column in browse.php would not be empty.

just watch and see...90% of new ratio-free trakcer have or will phail.

P.S. i'm not against ratio-free concept. I love it. But i certaily don't like when trackers implement stuff, especially those that someone else already did, just for the heak of it.
    What he said. Although i tihnk PTN kinda experimented by just having total traffic, although that still has the basis of seeding for a certain time or back to 1:1
    revtt and tl is n00bs...
    i don`t use mozilla n00b...... is addon in internet exp...?

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast