Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Usenet vs. Torrents ( security)

Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by masscrazy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 222MHz View Post

You must have a very slow connection.. And when you sit in a torrent swarm you might as well have a name tag on that says "Hello, My name is Bob"

The only thing I torrent is basically what it was initially designed for... Easing loads for servers.. In my case OpenSource.. I seed a couple of distros 24/7 for forever now.. How about those ratios.. I upped Debian Stable at 25Kb/s for 2 years..
    Nope, i have a 12-13Mb connection i get 1.6MB/1.7MB/s. Torrents the speed (with good seeds ofcourse) stays at a CONSTANT 1.66-1.7MB. Usenet it fluctuates. Sometimes i get the full 1.6MB/s, usually around 1.4MB. Also i get different speeds on different clients, which is odd.

Quote Originally Posted by technodrome View Post
    but many of good trackers are much safer than anything.. U only have to get in a high level tracker..
    Im lucky i got the level 10 tracker, and last 5-6months of freeleech has been delightful, got 150gb buffer with my crappy upload. Ha, and i just noticed it has SSL and im already using it access the site.

Quote Originally Posted by cinephilia View Post
    many private trackers support SSL..
    Hahaha, I find it funny that you think accessing a torrent tracker using SSL protects you. It does nothing. The reason the speed from usenet wasn't as good or fluctuated for you was probably the route from the server to you, you're only downloading from one source... on torrents you download from several. There are many servers, if you tried another one you could get better speeds, you never know.

Also, it's a level 10 tracker.. wow, you must feel so secure. The fact is that if you can get into it then no doubt a trained federal agent can do it too. And free leech is good but the content on private trackers is often very limited, mostly just scene releases. There is a much wider range of stuff on usenet.

Usenet = More Secure. No matter what you say, it simply is. The way torrents work is just not secure at all.
    Last edited by UsenetGuy; 05-17-2009 at 09:20 PM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by UsenetGuy View Post
    Hahaha, I find it funny that you think accessing a torrent tracker using SSL protects you. It does nothing. The reason the speed from usenet wasn't as good or fluctuated for you was probably the route from the server to you, you're only downloading from one source... on torrents you download from several. There are many servers, if you tried another one you could get better speeds, you never know.

Also, it's a level 10 tracker.. wow, you must feel so secure. The fact is that if you can get into it then no doubt a trained federal agent can do it too. And free leech is good but the content on private trackers is often very limited, mostly just scene releases. There is a much wider range of stuff on usenet.

Usenet = More Secure. No matter what you say, it simply is. The way torrents work is just not secure at all.
    I didnt say usenet was not more secure. And i didnt say the level 10 tracker makes using torrents any more secure. And i didnt say accessing torrent tracker using SSL protects me, i just stated i did.

Its probably something like 1% of people using torrents actually get 'caught' so the way i see it is, for now torrents are alot better than usenet. There may be a wider range of stuff to download from usenet but its so unorganised and annoying to get stuff from there.

3. Newsgroups   -   #23
    so unorganised and annoying to get stuff from there.

Get Newzbin or something similar if that's your problem.

4. Newsgroups   -   #24
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    For Usenet, you have to pay. Any way you look at it this just isn't good.
    Where's the feeling of sharing? Just one cold server run by some people that make business by selling piracy.

And you, spending money on downloading copyrighted stuff just for you and yourself.

5. Newsgroups   -   #25
    I share many nice Saturday nights with my wife watching great movies in our living room, scotch in hand.

6. Newsgroups   -   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtles View Post
    so unorganised and annoying to get stuff from there.

Get Newzbin or something similar if that's your problem.
    I got it, but again got to pay, boo. I got the grabitsearch package, its ok same thing as every index site.

What the hell are .par2 files? Some error checking/solving files, i got 500MB extra to download for rar files that were perfectly fine without the par2 files, what gives.

7. Newsgroups   -   #27
    I got it, but again got to pay, boo. I got the grabitsearch package, its ok same thing as every index site.

What the hell are .par2 files? Some error checking/solving files, i got 500MB extra to download for rar files that were perfectly fine without the par2 files, what gives.
    http://tinyurl.com/cj3pka

8. Newsgroups   -   #28

http://tinyurl.com/cj3pka
    That was quite funny. But i already did that, and as i said i know they're there for error checking and repairing .rar files but i downloaded an extra 500mb par2 files for rar files that were perfectly fine, unless they were repaired on the fly. Anyway its only 500mb, no big deal.

9. Newsgroups   -   #29
    That was quite funny. But i already did that, and as i said i know they're there for error checking and repairing .rar files but i downloaded an extra 500mb par2 files for rar files that were perfectly fine, unless they were repaired on the fly. Anyway its only 500mb, no big deal.
    The first time the .rar files aren't all there, you will be very happy.

10. Newsgroups   -   #30
    What client do you use? Alt.Binz allows you to set it so it will only download par2 files if a file is incomplete, even then it will only download the nessecary amount instead of just all of them. If you download a lot from usenet then this would save you quite a lot of time and bandwidth.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast