Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uncapping Cable

If I were to uncap my cable modem, Is there a high probability that I will get caught? I'm just wondering because a speed boost would be great.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    very, very high
    not worth the trouble
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Hmm, ok. What about changing the cap to a sensible speed, IE from 600k to 1mb? Will they detect that or not?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I&#39;m pretty sure its still pretty shady. I&#39;ve heard that you get easily discovered, and the consequences are very bad...

I would just recommend not tampering with it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi@21 September 2003 - 21:33
    Hmm, ok. What about changing the cap to a sensible speed, IE from 600k to 1mb? Will they detect that or not?
    at the end of the day, it&#39;s up to you...however, it&#39;s dangerous to uncap the modem...your cable company (ntl?) will find out pretty quickly and will either warn you or stop your account...
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Yeah, i use NTL.

I wont try it if its that easy to get caught. Too dangerous and I dont want to loose my connection completley.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    muchspl2
    I&#39;v herd ppl going to jail for that
    your choice

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    ive got my modem uncapped, and im using road runner. had it uncapped for 2 years, no problems yet. its really all up to you. do you want to risk it or not?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Don&#39;t do it.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    my cousin uncapped his modem, for a few minutes, he got some great speeds, but he put it back as he didnt wanna loose his subscrition, in fact im sure u always have to keep updating the info stored in the modem, and thisi is sent across the network every so often i think. so even if u did uncap, it would prob be back to norm next time.
    anyway i wouldnt do it, in the last monthly update i got from my isp, blueyonder in the uk, they were clamping down on people uncaping modems, aint worth it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast