Thread: Windows Xp Question

Is it possible to hide the words "__ Programs running" before you log onto a new user in XP. I try to download things and get off the computer and leave it running but the people in my house always log me off disconnecting the download because they see something is running that they assume will slow down the computer. Anyone know?

Edit: Sorry for posting in the wrong forum wasn't payin attention.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    ryt forum, dont quite understand wot u sayin, u can hide inactive system tray icons.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Kunal@21 September 2003 - 21:33
    ryt forum, dont quite understand wot u sayin, u can hide inactive system tray icons.
    Someone moved it to the right forum for me. I'm talking about when I log off of my username for the computer but I leave programs on. This enables other people to go on the computer but my username is still using one program (bit-torrent). Next to my username it says one program running. So instead of people leaving my name alone they log me off completely cancelling the download. What I am wondering is if it is possible to hide the words next to my username that say one program running.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Why don't you just tell the other people in your house to stop logging you off when you're downloading something? Either that or get your own computer.

Seriously though, ProcessMonitor is a great little utility which lets you hide any programs you have running. They won't show up in your task bar, and when you switch users it just says "Logged On".

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    BANNED
    Originally posted by I the end I+21 September 2003 - 17:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (I the end I @ 21 September 2003 - 17:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Kunal@21 September 2003 - 21:33
    Someone moved it to the right forum for me. I&#39;m talking about when I log off of my username for the computer but I leave programs on. This enables other people to go on the computer but my username is still using one program (bit-torrent). Next to my username it says one program running. So instead of people leaving my name alone they log me off completely cancelling the download. What I am wondering is if it is possible to hide the words next to my username that say one program running. [/b][/quote]
    well even if you hide it they will know they are on because the speed will be slow and even if you hid the program, if they log you off instead of swith user, all the programs will be off again

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    Tweak UI will take the "Unread email messages" thing off the login screen, but it won&#39;t work for the "programs running"
    notification. Maybe the latest version will, I haven&#39;t got it yet. It&#39;s on Microsoft&#39;s site.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    I know that there is a reg tweak for this just let me hunt it down and ill get back to you soon. Have you even tried a google search or am i going to have to do the work for you?

Dave

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    My Apologies, the tweak i though of was the mail one which can be found here Im on my dads work computer atm so i cant look around the reg but im sure there is something in there that can get rid of it.

Dave

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    OK, first, to limit the CPU, bandwidth and RAM load(s), get and use this BT Client http://home.elp.rr.com/tur/BitTorrent-expe...-w32install.exe

This is Shad0w&#39;s eXperimental client. It will allow you to pause Torrent downloads, and limit/select download and/or upload usage (to limit download, you must pause it, to limit upload--the main bandwith eater--use the drop-down menu or slider, to choose from 3 Kilobytes per second - all the way up to 100 Kilobytes per second.) You can also select/limit how many people can upload from you at once, choosing from 3 people to dozens -- 4-6 is pretty good.

If you will be logged off for a few hours, leaving the upload limited at ~10 Kilobytes per second, and Max Uploads to 3 is a good recommendation, as long as you have a good net connection - it should/will not affect anyone&#39;s ability to download things and/or play videos or games on another login.

The second part, would be to use the "Switch User" option when you are leaving for a while, so Windows will go to the login screen, where someone else can login to their own account. To ensure that they will not disrupt your download/uploads, leave a note/and or tell them to PLEASE leave the PC on, and not to stop your programs.