Thread: W00t!! They Did it!! Metallica invades SXSW as `young band from Norway'

Lady LoTL's Avatar Neamhbhásmhar
    By JAKE COYLE, AP Entertainment Writer Jake Coyle, Ap Entertainment Writer – 1 hr 46 mins ago

AUSTIN, Texas – Invading South By Southwest, Metallica attempted to pose as one of the hundreds of smaller bands there just hoping to get a record deal.

"We're a young band from Norway and we want to get signed," Metallica frontman James Hetfield told the audience at the heavy metal band's SXSW performance Friday night.

It was a widely expected but not officially announced show at a venue (Stubb's) that for a band like Metallica is downright minuscule, holding about 2,100 people. The band played for slightly more than an hour, performing both classics and, as Hetfield called it, "new stuff" off their 2008 album "Death Magnetic" — a disc widely considered a return to form for the 28-year-old group.

But despite Hetfield's mock camouflage (and poor Norwegian accent), Metallica stood out on the SXSW landscape Friday. With more than 50 million albums sold, Metallica has probably outsold the other 1,900-plus bands at SXSW combined.

Droves of die-hard fans, catching wind of the rumors, lined up all day outside Stubb's, where Metallica 18-wheelers parked outside.

Metallica was in Austin for the day to promote their new "Guitar Hero" video game. To be released March 29, it's the latest rock star simulator dedicated to a single band following last year's "Guitar Hero: Aerosmith."

Read the rest here...

Source ~ Yahoo!!

Official Site ~ http://sxsw.com/

More SXSW coverage from the NY Times...
    ...passions, whether violent or not, should never be so expressed as to reach the point of disgust; and music, even in situations of the greatest horror, should never be painful to the ear but should flatter...it and thereby always remain music.
    ~ Amadeus

2. Music   -   #2
    Lady LoTL's Avatar Neamhbhásmhar
    Why does it surprise me that only one person knew what this was all about?
    ...passions, whether violent or not, should never be so expressed as to reach the point of disgust; and music, even in situations of the greatest horror, should never be painful to the ear but should flatter...it and thereby always remain music.
    ~ Amadeus

3. Music   -   #3
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by LightOnTheLedge View Post
    Why does it surprise me that only one person knew what this was all about?
    Well, sorry. I'm not a Metallica fan. Too hard for me (in terms of rock, lol).
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

4. Music   -   #4
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Metallica as people are douchebags. They think they are heroes for encouraging bootlegging their concerts while they go out of their way to sue the fans that pirate their music. Not surprised the crowd here doesn't care too much for them.