I buy some CD's, These are my steps I take,
    • Go to the shop
    • Buy a CD
    • Bring it home
    • Rip it
    • Take it back
    • Say I want a refund, why?
    • ...because I had one for my birthday.

Then thats it. All in the space of 30min. B)

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    If it's possible to listen to it it's possible to copy it, copy-protection is annoying, but there are ways around it. It's just a case of having the right tools.

One of the ways included a black marker pen I seem to remember!!

I think the most outrageous thing is that the CD's are sub-standard and will wear out quicker, in which case, the most sensible thing to do is make a backup.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    There are already lawsuits around the world against this...
    They will soon have warning labels...

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    I really don't think just making an image file is going to work. the only thing it does is it makes an image of what is already on the decrypted CD. perhaps Paddus disk juggler can do it?

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    Originally posted by Jibbler@23 September 2003 - 04:03
    I still buy CDs. However, despite the ongoing methods of copy protection which are already being used, if it can be burned to disk, then it can be ripped. Any copy protection can be reverse engineered, don't let anyone tell you different.

However, if you are ready to test your skills, go buy the new A Perfect Circle CD, and see if you can copy it. Line In rips (as internet.news suggested) arent really ripping, nor are they even providing a digital copy. To actually crack the copy protection and decode the file from CDDA to mp3 is a challenge that 99% of users won't be able to get around. Don't believe me? Spend $12 and see for yourself.
    True. True.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    [quote]Originally posted by Jackco@21 September 2003 - 23:32
    NEXT TIME YOU BUY A CD, REMEMBER TO ASK:
    "Will this CD really play on my equipment?"
    Why? Because the record manufacturers are secretly introducing new slightly modified CDs into the shops. Some of these corrupt CDs won't play on computers, PS2 and DVD machines, and others have lower quality sound and won't last as long as normal CDs. Not only that, but the new CDs make it impossible for people to copy CDs onto their computers and make MP3s.

The new CDs might play fine to start with, but underneath, the sounds have been subtly corrupted. Your CD player has to work much harder to play the music correctly, so after a few scratches, you'll have tracks going wrong MUCH SOONER than with normal CDs. In truth, these CDs are not as good quality as normal CDs.
    If this is really the thing they're planning to do I think even more people will start downloading the music from K-lite and less people will actually by cd's.
    Except for those who know how to rip them

Why don't they just start with lowering the price of cd's?
    That will probably do them more good than making lower-quality cd's!

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    namzuf9's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Jibbler@23 September 2003 - 09:03
    However, if you are ready to test your skills, go buy the new A Perfect Circle CD, and see if you can copy it. Line In rips (as internet.news suggested) arent really ripping, nor are they even providing a digital copy. To actually crack the copy protection and decode the file from CDDA to mp3 is a challenge that 99% of users won't be able to get around. Don't believe me? Spend $12 and see for yourself.
    Spend $12, are you on their payroll or something?

In all seriousness though, how many of the "younger generation" actually bother buying CD's when its all avalible for free?
    I myself do, knowing the true value of music, although I will d/l an album if I just want 1 or 2 tracks off of it. I also d/l a lot of rarer, older stuff (for example at the moment I'm listening to In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly, do you think my local music megastore could get that for me )
    Basically having a broadband connection and a knowledge of P2P has not changed my consumer habits but is it just a select few that feel the same.

As much as we hate them, the RIAA and their various conterparts have a right to try to protect their intrests and I dont get pissed off to hear of major record labels trying to add protection to their releases.

Lets put it another way. A website you built from the ground up takes of and gets thousands of hits a day. Someone comes along and copies it word for word and takes away some of your audience. How would you feel?

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    PAiNKiLLER
    I think there aren't any cd that can't be played on the computer...

Image Resized

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Originally posted by fr600@23 September 2003 - 20:33
    I think there aren't any cd that can't be played on the computer...
    ?????
    All the cd's I got I can play on my comp without a problem on my cd-rom drive

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Poster
    There are CD's that can't be played on a PC, but that doesnt matter... Just play the Cd in a noraml Cd player, connect the headphone socket to the line-in on your soundcard and record the result... The quality will still be fine (practically perfect if you've got optical ins and outs on the equipment) and the time it takes to record is going to be easy to predict... It'll be whatever the length of the track is...
    Now go out, and find me a CD that you can't turn into MP3's that way... There aren't any, cause if they're were you wouldnt be able to play them anywhere...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast