Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Insanity of English Football

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    "the market condition that exists when there are few sellers, as a result of which they can greatly influence price and other market factors."

"a market in which control over the supply of a commodity is in the hands of a small number of producers and each one can influence"

"A market dominated by so few sellers that action by any of them will impact both the price of the good and the competitors."

"An industry composed of a limited number of large firms."

"The situation where a small number of companies own or control the production of a particular good or provision of services within a market economy. ..."

It's not an oligopoly.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    Sure it is, a small number of football clubs, who dominate the Thingy League.

The rest of the football clubs can be taken as one producer, as their impact individually is nearly nil.

I knows this stuff, I once studied economics, in a previous life somewhere, the definition works, with some minor adjustments.

I hope Kev doesn't notice all the smilies I am using tonight.
    Last edited by Skweeky; 04-11-2009 at 08:20 PM.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    "... with some minor adjustments"

There are 20 clubs in the EPL. They may be dominated, in a footballing sense, by the top 4. However that does not make the top 4 an oligopoly. That's simply not how it works (the EPL). There the league body itself, which has control. There's the FA which also has control over football in England. There's UEFA and FIFA, also exerting controls. There's the contracts with SKY and Setanta which relates to all of the clubs, through the league and is a majority contributor to the teams incomes, all of them.
    Last edited by JPaul; 04-11-2009 at 08:28 PM.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    If you're going to throw football terms at me, I'm not playing

5. Lounge   -   #35
    :earl: fair do's.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Villalltheway's Avatar Paint it Pink BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post

Are you actually as stupid as you are making out

"the exclusive possession or control of something". 4 different entities cannot have exclusive control. They can have joint control but that doesn't make a monopoly. It's not the same thing, trust me English is my first language.

"U lot here take everythings so literally, all i am trying to say is that the premier league is a bit boring because the same top 4 teams seem to be up there every year"

So why not say that in the first place, rather than talk shite and use words you clearly don't understand. I don't necessarily agree but at least it makes sense.

Oh and if you're next post doesn't contain the phrase "get a life, get laid, manker" I'll be tres disappointed to the max.
    To be honest u r going to be dissappointed because im not gonna tell u to get a life etc i just thought it was unneccicary for you to jump on what i said when u blatantly u knew what i was trying to say, it not exactly a term i have used soley if u ever watch football programs they always go on about the 'top 4 monopoly'. Just once example for you 5th paragraph

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/7740865.stm

All i can say im sorry i dont have a grasp of the English language as u do, we must bow down to u. If u still wanna go on about it with me im sure i can find another 100 examples for u and maybe u can write to each individual person about how wrong they are. Im sure the BBC are looking forward to you letter of concern, maybe u can write in to points of view.

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Villalltheway View Post

Are you actually as stupid as you are making out

"the exclusive possession or control of something". 4 different entities cannot have exclusive control. They can have joint control but that doesn't make a monopoly. It's not the same thing, trust me English is my first language.

"U lot here take everythings so literally, all i am trying to say is that the premier league is a bit boring because the same top 4 teams seem to be up there every year"

So why not say that in the first place, rather than talk shite and use words you clearly don't understand. I don't necessarily agree but at least it makes sense.

Oh and if you're next post doesn't contain the phrase "get a life, get laid, manker" I'll be tres disappointed to the max.
    To be honest u r going to be dissappointed because im not gonna tell u to get a life etc i just thought it was unneccicary for you to jump on what i said when u blatantly u knew what i was trying to say, it not exactly a term i have used soley if u ever watch football programs they always go on about the 'top 4 monopoly'. Just once example for you 5th paragraph

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/7740865.stm

All i can say im sorry i dont have a grasp of the English language as u do, we must bow down to u. If u still wanna go on about it with me im sure i can find another 100 examples for u and maybe u can write to each individual person about how wrong they are. Im sure the BBC are looking forward to you letter of concern, maybe u can write in to points of view.
    Oh right, you are an idiot, sorry I was actually just joking about that.

Can I suggest that you don't use football pundits as your source for the meaning or acceptable use of English. Whilst it might be an appealing idea it is ultimately and inevitably doomed to failure.

Can I also suggest that if you want to be a smart arse, which you clearly do, then you should do it in relation to something which you actually have a fucking clue about. Though I fully accept that may limit your options.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Villalltheway's Avatar Paint it Pink BT Rep: +1

Can I suggest that you don't use football pundits as your source for the meaning or acceptable use of English. Whilst it might be an appealing idea it is ultimately and inevitably doomed to failure.

Can I also suggest that if you want to be a smart arse, which you clearly do, then you should do it in relation to something which you actually have a fucking clue about. Though I fully accept that may limit your options.
    lol ur a funny guy trying to call me a smart arse, coming from a guy who jumps on me over one little point. But ill take note in future if i do want to be one ill try learning by reading ur posts. I may be a clueless guy but that just shows the kind of guy u r, having arguments over meaningless stuff with a clueless guy.

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    I like that arguement. You're an idiot for arguing with me, cause I'm an idiot.

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

10. Lounge   -   #40
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by Villalltheway View Post

lol ur a funny guy trying to call me a smart arse, coming from a guy who jumps on me over one little point. But ill take note in future if i do want to be one ill try learning by reading ur posts. I may be a clueless guy but that just shows the kind of guy u r, having arguments over meaningless stuff with a clueless guy.
    That's just a long-winded way of saying "Get a life, get laid - wanker"...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast