Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Screwed we are.the waffles database is already on SALE!

sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    seems like the database wasn't actually 'compromised'.to say compromised would be an understatement,the whole database got jacked and its already on SALE in places like http://www.h4cky0u.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5176 ...so hell yeah its nothing serious,sarcastic indeed..its now definite that some people have been screwed and screwed really bad...u don't want people like some of those in that forum with your personal info,trust me or at worse for the thing to land on the hands of the M&R or some govt. highest bidder,if whoever did it did it just for the fun of it then that becomes a compromise but doing it so as to sell it is something worth to be concerned about..this is already a disaster happening...am also hearing that the database has been around for a while now,so this didn't just happen and in my own opinion the security alert at waffles would have been a little more strong worded,than what it was..
    Last edited by Juscallmesez; 04-12-2009 at 02:36 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    RedRansom's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Well i dont care about my account info cuz i already take precautions at the begining (but ppl should and will care!)
    and i hope ppl wont meet with a policeman when tomorrow morning open their door...(especially staff members and top uploaders )
    Then thanks to waffles and aint bithdtv had same fact one year ago?
    Last edited by RedRansom; 04-12-2009 at 03:07 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    puckface's Avatar Unknown Pleasures BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    I guess this is the chance that we all take being a art of these trackers. How dangerous is it?

Well, usernames and passwords are a given (and if you use the same ones on even 2 different sites, youre a fucking idiot). Then there are the logs possibly(?) Possible IP logs of activity on the site. I dont think thats too dangerous, since if people really wanted your IP they can get it.

but, life moves on and we continue to take our risks
    Last edited by puckface; 04-12-2009 at 02:32 PM.
    Go Leafs Go.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    mshassy's Avatar Half Retired BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    we are damned!

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    tutipute's Avatar I'm Here! BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by puckface View Post
    Well, usernames and passwords are a given (and if you use the same ones on even 2 different sites, youre a fucking idiot).
    DB Password won't get you very far, even if you use the same password everywhere, since they are md5 encrypted. If you can decrypt md5 strong passwords then i guess you won't be chasing the Waffles DB...
    So resetting the hash codes should solve just about every security issue there is.

IPs and statistics, i guess it might help to establish a warrant but it is entirely based on where you live. They might scare you off though.

My best guess is that except for the embarrassment to the site there is not much more that can happen... but that's just the optimistic me.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    puckface's Avatar Unknown Pleasures BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Quote Originally Posted by tutipute View Post
    Well, usernames and passwords are a given (and if you use the same ones on even 2 different sites, youre a fucking idiot).
    DB Password won't get you very far, even if you use the same password everywhere, since they are md5 encrypted. If you can decrypt md5 strong passwords then i guess you won't be chasing the Waffles DB...
    So resetting the hash codes should solve just about every security issue there is.

IPs and statistics, i guess it might help to establish a warrant but it is entirely based on where you live. They might scare you off though.

My best guess is that except for the embarrassment to the site there is not much more that can happen... but that's just the optimistic me.
    Yeah, I understand the hashing and the salting of passwords. But if they are that secure why did Waffles advise changing them? Thats what I never understand. A trackers says "your passwords cannot be found becase they are hashed, but you should change them anyway" I find that comical.
    Go Leafs Go.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    mshassy's Avatar Half Retired BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Will waffles face the ghost of Oink?
    i cannot imagine!

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by mshassy View Post
    Will waffles face the ghost of Oink?
    i cannot imagine!
    Over a stolen database? no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swepsycho View Post
    revtt and tl is n00bs...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swepsycho View Post
    i don`t use mozilla n00b...... is addon in internet exp...?

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    silvertec's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    You like your site spread all over the net then join every site that doesn't now about security.Keep joining all the dick head sites.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    tutipute's Avatar I'm Here! BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by tutipute View Post
    Yeah, I understand the hashing and the salting of passwords. But if they are that secure why did Waffles advise changing them? Thats what I never understand. A trackers says "your passwords cannot be found becase they are hashed, but you should change them anyway" I find that comical.
    Precaution never harmed anyone, that's the reason... Besides, if someone was going after an account it would be the admin's account and not yours.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast