Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blocknews 100GB/$20 or Astraweb 120GB/$25?

Hi all, great forum you have here! Looks to be a lot more active than some other Usenet related ones.

Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    I'm not trying to scare anyone, but the fact remains that I've seen quite a few resellers (like Blocknews) come and go over the years.
    That is true, I think a lot of it has to do though with new comers trying to offer service at overly competitive prices which causes a rapid charge of customers all at once....which eventually catches up with them financially, all that traffic and all those Gigs have to be payed for at some point. I am sure we can all think of at least one provider that had killer prices at the onset, but then they disappeared into thin air.

Ever since we started we have taken the slow and steady road, for growth. Keeps everything in check, and in turn, this will keep us in place for a long time.

2. Newsgroups   -   #22
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by djerholler69 View Post
    If you were to recalculate the costs to a 120gb block, Astraweb's service cost only a dollar more.

But since you mentioned that you only downloaded a 1-2gigs/week, I guess you could get the 100gb Blocknews connection and 'save' the 5 dollars.That would be like 50-100weeks usage!

Yea, i know the price difference wasnt much, that is why i had such a hard time deciding between the two. All i could go on was the obvious 5 dollar price difference, the end retention between the two (not really a big deal to me but for comparisons sake, why not, also support led me to believe that retention could be increased at the drop of a hat should others decide to try and one-up the other again), and the test/question i sent to support...had an answer within 10-15 minutes on Easter sunday!....I had a hard time last year with Astraweb not getting to my question from late Friday night, until Mid-Monday morning.

The times when I will have the best chance of using my block account access will be most likely on the weekends because of work and stuff during the week and what not, and if something happens and i need help, I don't wanna blow a weekend without access waiting for an answer.

3. Newsgroups   -   #23
    Blocknews offers an interesting offer for people who prefer blocks, but I firmly believe that any service that is unlimited in excess of $11 US are obsolete by offering Astraweb, its gradual growth, and Become a Provider without resellers or primary reseller of services.

I think Astraweb has marked a turning point by which those
    providers who want to be competitive will have to take a risk and step beyond.

4. Newsgroups   -   #24
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    You could look into the following

usenetworld.net 19.95/year (110 day retention, 95% completion)

I read about them else where so I have no experience with that site or their service.

5. Newsgroups   -   #25
    Usenetworld works perfectly. I have got a subscription since 2 weeks ago.

6. Newsgroups   -   #26
    newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by jbloggs View Post
    Twenty bucks a year for unlimited usenet is certainly dirt cheap - but I've got to wonder, how can they deliver a quality service for such a cheap price?

Even if it's unreliable, you could combine usenetworld with a no-expiration block account (from Astraweb, Usenet-News, Blocknews, etc) for fills/backup-provider and still come out ahead money-wise.

I'd like to know what provider usenetworld.net is reselling, and how well their service stands up.

7. Newsgroups   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jbloggs View Post
    Twenty bucks a year for unlimited usenet is certainly dirt cheap - but I've got to wonder, how can they deliver a quality service for such a cheap price?

Even if it's unreliable, you could combine usenetworld with a no-expiration block account (from Astraweb, Usenet-News, Blocknews, etc) for fills/backup-provider and still come out ahead money-wise.

I'd like to know what provider usenetworld.net is reselling, and how well their service stands up.
    I was wondering the exact same thing, the deal seems too good to be true. I started a new thread to see if anyone has actually used them.

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-new...orldnet-346563

8. Newsgroups   -   #28
    www.gebruikhet.net 210 GB for 25 Euros. Payin via Paypal/Paysafecard and Creditcard transaction. Retention is growing up to 400 Days.

9. Newsgroups   -   #29
    newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by TeQTeQ View Post
    www.gebruikhet.net 210 GB for 25 Euros. Payin via Paypal/Paysafecard and Creditcard transaction. Retention is growing up to 400 Days.
    GebruikHet.Net (a reseller of XS News) is a new company that has only been in business for about 16 months.

Does anyone remember UsenetVault.com? (They advertised a lot, and may have had a few FST signups.) UsenetVault offered some great prices on block accounts also, which they called "bucket accounts". The sad part is that they recently went out of business -- after less than a year. And no, they did not refund unused block accounts.

Just something to think about before you lay down a hunk of money on a big block account (or pay several months up-front) at some new rookie usenet provider with enticing prices -- and expect your account will last you many months/years.

Having said all that ... yes, I agree that the block account prices at GebruikHet.Net are excellent - in fact, the lowest prices I've seen anywhere.

10. Newsgroups   -   #30
    GebruikHetNet
    What is wrong with reselling from XS News, we don't have the costs for a huge server park

Btw GebruikHet.Net is a part of www.bullcat.nl ( since 1-4-05 ), we do more then usenet accounts, our core business is hosting/colocated and dedicated, Usenet is a small part of it the same as bullstreaming.nl

Grtzz
    Hans
    Last edited by GebruikHetNet; 07-03-2009 at 10:38 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123