Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprocket's Competition

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Our engine is an LT, not an LS, but that's neither here nor there.

You were on the money re: RPMs....which is a good thing because we have a real breakup/stumble issue right around 4500.
    It does clear up over 5 grand* but you'd better have a lot of clear road ahead of you at that speed.
    S. and Dan (the mechanic) are hoping that the ignition control module is the culprit.
    It's relatively cheap and poorly located, bolted right to end of the head.
    We'll get a new one and move it to the shock tower, a much cooler environment.

Can't wait for tomorrow night to get started in a real shop.
    It'll be my first real look at the underside of the car.

*When S. first bought the car it had an AutoMeter Monster tach in it.
    The telltale read 7400RPM.
    We don't know what to make of that...
    7400 shouldn't be undoable, considering it's probably got reasonably fresh (and maybe heavier-duty) valve springs.

I'd guess you're right about the ignition, too.

I'd also guess your throttle response will calm down once the exhaust is done; I'm sure the 'puter doesn't have the slightest idea what to think, just now.

You/he might look into the possibility of some reprogramming as well - the Camaro was quite a bit heavier than the Mazda, which would probably like more advance and a quicker curve.

The lower-end should be up to flashing it, but with all the cubes, it's certainly not necessary.

I really like the looks of that little rig.

I'd better go on a serious diet...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I think the throttle is actually a mechanical issue.
    A different cam on the throttlebody should clear that up.

Reprogramming/tuning is definitely on the list.

Don't bother with the diet...just get a second gen like mine.
    The quality of the 3rd gen interior is really crap and it's just very poor from an ergonomic perspective.

For some reason I just flashed on a fantasy of Kenna's face being ripped off as she sticks her head out this one's window.
    Humorous in a disgusting way...apologize to her for me.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    LaPistola's Avatar about BT Rep: +2
    I just helped a friend with a swap on a 2nd gen Prelude.
    New engine was very close to this one-
    Last edited by LaPistola; 04-22-2009 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Pic Added
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    I don't know about the north but in the south an Englishman is about as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by LaPistola View Post
    I just helped a friend with a swap on a 2nd gen Prelude.
    Details, please.
    What did you swap from/to?
    What did the swap gain you?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Well, last night the car went up on the lift and I got my first good look at the underside.
    To put it mildly...we have issues.

We knew there were problems- no reverse, for one- but things are worse than I suspected (and certainly worse than S. hoped, for sure).

Where to begin?

The exhaust was as big a POS as we thought but that's not a problem as we'd planned on building a new one anyway.
    It's crap construction was actually a boon as it literally fell off the car after the header bolts were undone.

Everything was a slip fit...no wonder it sounded like it leaked...it did!

Moving on...
    The 3rd gen RX has a "floating" differential, tied to the transmission with a fairly elaborate brace structure.
    As we no longer have the stock tranny, the "builders" (very generous use of the term here) had to fab a new brace.
    Their engineering, welding skills and material choices leave a lot to be desired...

It's also apparent we have some oil control issues with the diff, hopefully just seals (fingers crossed).

Moving on, we were finally able to access the transmission proper.
    Let me clarify a bit, Dan the mechanic was able to access the transmission...my duty to was to stay out of his way. Two factors aided us here- Dan has every tool known to man and the transmission was missing three of the eight mounting bolts.

The hope ( fervently expressed by all) was that the lack of reverse was due to a shift linkage problem, a bad lockout solenoid or, worst case, shift forks.

Ah...no.

Removing the rear of the housing (which exposes reverse and 6th gear) revealed this...

Note all the gunk in the bottom of the casing- helpfully pointed out by the red arrow (Yay Paint!)- this is ALL METAL!
    Not a good thing.
    Removing reverse gear (the large one on the top shaft) exposed the culprit...

This is the reverse gear synchro and needle bearing, what's left of them.

The carnage extends to the output shaft (it never rains but it pours) which is so badly galled that the remaining gear can't be removed (yeah, it's a terrible pic so just take my word on this).

At this point we retired to the office and began to look up parts.
    The first one- the output shaft- is $700.
    Yikes!

It was quickly apparent that a rebuild of this unit was going to be very expensive.
    The shop (Precision Import Repair) is tied into a nationwide network of junkyards and we searched for a suitable replacement online.
    Nearest result was here in town- a rebuilt unit for a mere $2600.

Ouch.

Searching further afield we found others in the $1700- 2000 range but they would involve shipping, so not a real big savings.

The owner, S., just had spinal surgery on Tuesday and I haven't spoken to him since.
    Besides hoping that the operation went well, I'm also hoping that he's now doped to the gills on Demerol (or better!) so breaking this news won't be so shocking.

We'll see.
    Last edited by clocker; 04-23-2009 at 11:04 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Revealing (and heartbreaking) pics.

You're going to find out how deep S's wallet is, I think (best to him, btw - rehab is major suckage).

The "builders" you refer to should be made to answer for their affront.

I think S. should buy the one I linked you to and start over.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Have spoken to S. several times today, he is now at home doing as well as could be expected, wishing he had more Percosets.

In a flurry of phone calls, we have located and arranged to pick up a NEW T-56.
    Never installed, still in crate, $1650.
    I'm picking it up tomorrow morning, it's about an hour north of me so, really not a big deal.

I should have it Dan's capable hands by three or so.
    Not that he'll do anything with it right away but at least we're not holding up the show.

Whew.

As to the "builders"...
    Realistically, S. has no recourse.
    He knew there was a problem with reverse when he purchased the car over a year ago.
    They would obviously play dumb and point to the passage of time...case closed.

Dan and I suspect they knew exactly what and how devastating the problem was.
    Three missing bolts- and two finger tight ones- point pretty conclusively to someone having removed the gearbox in situ, just as we did last night.

Life is a bitch.
    Last edited by clocker; 04-23-2009 at 10:54 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Have spoken to S. several times today, he is now at home doing as well as could be expected, wishing he had more Percosets.

In a flurry of phone calls, we have located and arranged to pick up a NEW T-56.
    Never installed, still in crate, $1650.
    I'm picking it up tomorrow morning, it's about an hour north of me so, really not a big deal.

I should have it Dan's capable hands by three or so.
    Not that he'll do anything with it right away but at least we're not holding up the show.

Whew.

As to the "builders"...
    Realistically, S. has no recourse.
    He knew there was a problem with reverse when he purchased the car over a year ago.
    They would obviously play dumb and point to the passage of time...case closed.

Dan and I suspect they knew exactly what and how devastating the problem was.
    Three missing bolts- and two finger tight ones- point pretty conclusively to someone having removed the gearbox in situ, just as we did last night.

Life is a bitch.
    Yeah - it goes that way as often as not.

Super lucky to find a new trans...solid friggin' gold, in fact.

S. should call those guys and ask them to check around, see if they still have the bolts, huh?

Maybe give them a compliment on their engineering and fabrication skills.

I urge you also to congratulate Dan on his no-nonsense mien.

Impressive.

-Mark Twain

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    If by "no-nonsense mien" you mean "scary mofo", then I agree.
    Really nice guy though and a ferocious mechanic.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    If by "no-nonsense mien" you mean "scary mofo", then I agree.
    Really nice guy though and a ferocious mechanic.
    Yes, I do, and I appreciate your use of the adjective.

Some people can weld without resorting to pedestrian AC voltage.

-Mark Twain

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast