Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft confirms Windows 7 downgrade rights

SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer

TechARP had been constantly giving updates on the Windows 7 Downgrade Rights Program all these days. Now Microsoft has confirmed the same in a blog post, regarding Windows 7 Downgrade rights program.

Users can downgrade to Windows XP and Windows Vista from Windows 7 via OEMs for 6 months after Windows 7 General Availability. For customers and businesses running Windows XP, Microsoft still recommends an upgrade to Windows Vista before moving onto upgrading Windows 7. If the user needs to run Windows XP Professional on new PCs and if they are running Windows Vista Business or Windows Vista Ultimate already, they have the automatic right to downgrade to a previous version of Windows for the life of that PC and the downgrade media may be obtained by an OEM for Windows XP for the service life of that PC (OEMs can choose to provide downgrade media).

The end user downgrade rights are available only to Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate editions and the user can downgrade to the corresponding previous versions of Windows, such as:

* Windows Vista Business
    * Windows Vista Ultimate
    * Windows XP Professional (both 32bit & 64bit)
    * Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

And what about General Availability of Windows 7?

"We are currently in the development stages for Windows 7 and expect it will take approximately 3 years from Windows Vista Consumer GA to develop. The specific release date will be determined once Microsoft meets its quality bar for release."

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...wngrade-rights
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 04-16-2009 at 06:08 AM.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    "We are currently in the development stages for Windows 7 and expect it will take approximately 3 years from Windows Vista Consumer GA to develop. The specific release date will be determined once Microsoft meets its quality bar for release."

This was the only part that I found of interest, but I'm not even sure what it exactly means.

yo

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Their quality release won't be until Windows 7 SP1
    [center]

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    Sad, but true.
    Not sure what that file's gonna do? Check it with ANUBIS - Analyzing Unknown Binaries
    Is that site DOWN FOR EVERYONE OR JUST ME?

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlord View Post
    Sad, but true.
    NOT true. I've been using windows 7 for nearly 4 months starting with the 7000 build (currently using 7057), and I LOVE IT! It's Much faster and more stable that windows vista AND xp IMO. I was running Xp on this machine for 2 and a half years before win 7 (minus a few months to test drive vista) and Only stuck with it because it seemed better to me than XP. But after using 7, I'm singing it's praises. It's not even RC1 and I know I'll never go back to XP.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Are you using a activation so you can use for more than 30 days? I mean it still has the bug where it will delete stuff randomly on External Drives, it's deleted my buddies music twice now.
    [center]

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Are you using a activation so you can use for more than 30 days? I mean it still has the bug where it will delete stuff randomly on External Drives, it's deleted my buddies music twice now.
    I'm using the serial provided with the download and it says I'm activated. I don't use external drives, but I have 5 HDD's from 3 different manufacturers and haven't had any problem with data loss / corruption. In fact, MS seems to have resolved an issue I was having in XP. While reading from or writing to my TB drive in xp, hardware interrupts would consume half my processor making the computer almost unusable. No issues like that in vista

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I'm using Windows 7. Have been for six weeks or so and am using build 7000. I also skipped using Vista completely. Never even tried it. Did a reformat from XP right into Win7.

That being said, I don't know how you can say Windows 7 is "more stable that XP".

I have a Microsoft mouse that won't even work correctly. It isn't a cheap one either, but their more (most?) expensive one - the MS Laser Mouse 8000. The movement can at times be very jittery for no apparent reason. This never happened in XP. I also cannot scroll with my mouse wheel. It's a Microsoft product ffs...

I have issues with PDF files and Reader - Reader is very iffy and Adobe has no qualms about admitting it. They've clearly stated that they do not yet support the OS. I cannot print a PDF file from IE, FF, Chrome, or Reader. I must save it and then open it in Photoshop and print from there.

The taskbar auto-hide does not work properly. Auto-hide will randomly stop hiding. If I go back into properties and reselect and reapply the settings, it will hide one time and thats it. When I bring up the taskbar again, it stays visible again. The only way to fix it is to reboot the PC.

I tried changing some icons and that was a huge mistake. Many of my icons are now invisible. Windows 7 did not include all of the icons that the final release will. Thus, when I tried to change back to the default ones, they weren't there. File folders don't even exist anymore. I worked for hours on it and finally got most of the icons back to a state that is good enough. I'm not messing with them again.

Those are just a couple of the problems I've run into. I can't recall a single problem I had in XP in all the years I used it, yet I've run into a slew of them in just a few weeks with Win7.

@ SonsOfLiberty - The Windows 7 builds are working for more than 30 days. They expire on August 1st and go into a limited use status.
    Last edited by Skizo; 04-17-2009 at 04:55 AM.

yo

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Don't use Adobe...try Foxit.
    Free and works perfectly.

Not sure about your mouse problems.
    My Logitech MX1000 is fine and the old MS wireless was too. Might try reinstalling your motherboard chipset drivers (which should have all the USB drivers).

I use a Vista Icon pack I got from somewhere.
    I stuck it in C: Windows/ System 32 folder and changed several icons and use it for my Sleep and Reboot shortcuts...again, works perfectly.

You might try getting a newer version of the OS...latest available is 7077, I think.

I wouldn't say Win 7 is "more stable" than XP...I never really had problems with either.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    yeah, foxit is the way to go. also, use cutepdf for printing pdf. Works flawlessly for me.

I'm using the same mouse that I bough in '99, no problems with it and win 7 .

I don't use taskbar autohide and don't change my icons, so I haven't experienced any problems there.

But just to let you know, I was experiencing some problems with the 7000 build which were resolved when I upgraded to 7057 build. I suggest you download a newer release and upgrade. You don't haveto reformat, just extract the iso to a folder on any hd, make sure you have at least 16GB free on C:, and run setup.exe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast