Intel - 3.71GHz

Highest Frequency Front Side Bus (FSB)
    AMD - 533MHz
    Intel - 800MHz

Largest Cache
    AMD - 512K
    Intel - 1.024M

Extra Technology
    Intel - HyperThreading Technology - Ability to execute four threads simultaneously.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    It looks to me intel is the best thanks for the post.

also i thoght some people with hypertreading can get speeds of 4ghz. Not all people do just some say they do.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Computer experts are predicting that we will reach 20GHz in 10-15 years, our current machines will become extinct.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    This has been done extensively before so i'll won't cover the same ground about the uselessness of comparing clock frequencies again
    Cost of top range chip
    Intel 3.2Ghz £550
    Amd 3200 £370

And theres not much point in quoting a max overclock for one and not the other, since it offers no comparison.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Retired
    AMD is better and cheaper

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    BANNED
    Originally posted by lynx@6 September 2003 - 08:01
    and who performed that test??? it would not be amd would it!!!!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    quotes from last time this went round
    What it comes down to is your budget.
    AMD is the best bang for buck. Period. 
      clock speed (gigahertz) is not the way to measure the performance of a CPU.
    Intel have a higher cache, AMD pose 256-512KB but Intel have 1MB Level 2 cache. Intel clock speeds tend to be higher, I haven't seen an AMD clocked at 3.06GHz. And as well as that Intel have better overclocking facilities, I have seen a 3.06GHz Pentium Xeon overclocked to 3.71GHz, that's 650MHz!
    AMD and Intel have different caching systems... what is present in L1 cache in a P4 is also present in L2, whereas in AMD systems they use a system that doesn't allow duplication between caches.

Which is more efficient? Look at AMD's performance per clock cycle and you will see.
    For those who need to be enlightened about AMD's model numbering: AMD Athlon™ XP Processor Benchmarking and Model Numbering Methodology (pdf). 
    the 3200 is supposed to compete with the intel of the same rating ie 3.2Ghz , but its definitely behind in performance

yeah at the moment AMD's 2 highest chips are cheaper buy not as good as their Intel equivalents. So bang for buck they're close. Anything below a 3000 and the AMD is almost identical to the Intel, but loads cheaper so u get more for ur money

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by MUSLEMAN+6 September 2003 - 13:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MUSLEMAN @ 6 September 2003 - 13:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@6 September 2003 - 08:01
    and who performed that test??? it would not be amd would it&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Of course it was AMD, but it says quite clearly whose tests they were (not AMD&#39;s)

I wonder why Intel don&#39;t produce any similar charts comparing performance ?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    My AMD Athlon 1.1 ghz computer 512 ddram is faster than my frineds 2.0 ghz p4 256 ddram

cept for gfx card :-)

That should tell you something

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast