Thread: Lost Permission To Mp3s

For some reason, half of my Applications partition is now read/write/modify protected.

I'm using WinXP Pro Sp1b, and each file has a Security tab.
    On that tab for the Mp3's I'm having problems with, it says neither I nor the system has permission to modify or read this file.

For all the advanced Pro users that know about auditing: I can enable auditing through security for these files, but getting Full Control seems impossible, since the System has no control either. I'm also able to take ownership of these files, but still the security tab remains a pain in the ass.

Any help??

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    The RIAA could have hacked your computer and messed up your files I dunno maybe it could have happened

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by kdm172@22 September 2003 - 19:08
    The RIAA could have hacked your computer and messed up your files I dunno maybe it could have happened
    some how i don't think so
    ice ice baby

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Originally posted by Icey+22 September 2003 - 18:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Icey @ 22 September 2003 - 18:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kdm172@22 September 2003 - 19:08
    some how i don&#39;t think so [/b][/quote]
    somehow i think you are right

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Have you got an update for Rights Management applications? XP has one, not sure about Pro. If you havent already, check Windows Update page.
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    For some reason, half of my Applications partition is now read/write/modify protected.

I&#39;m using WinXP Pro Sp1b, and each file has a Security tab.
    On that tab for the Mp3&#39;s I&#39;m having problems with, it says neither I nor the system has permission to modify or read this file.

For all the advanced Pro users that know about auditing:&nbsp; I can enable auditing through security for these files, but getting Full Control seems impossible, since the System has no control either.&nbsp; I&#39;m also able to take ownership of these files, but still the security tab remains a pain in the ass.

Any help??&nbsp;
    SP1b? I thought SP1a was the latest version...

Try all this even if you&#39;ve tried some of it before:

Make sure you&#39;re an Administrator

- Right-click folder, click properties, click security tab, Advanced button, Owner tab, highlight name of new owner (try "Administrators" if your name doesn&#39;t work), click "Replace owner on ..." checkbox, Click OK.

- Do the same thing as above only go to the Permissions tab instead of the Owner tab. Remove the checkbox "Inherit blah blah" and choose "No" when it asks you if you want to copy them. Remove all remaining permissions. Click OK. Go back to the Permissions tab, now enable the "Inherit blah blah" checkbox, enable the "Replace permissions blah" checkbox and click OK.

Try now and see if it works. If it doesn&#39;t work, can you see the filenames or doesn&#39;t XP let you do that?

Try this if the above doesn&#39;t work:

- Right-click the folder, and remove all permissions (don&#39;t inherit any), then set new permissions allowing you read and write access.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Here&#39;s the thing, for some reason I&#39;m unable to download the update for User Rights Management, although I think that&#39;s what I need.

SP1b is the newest version, it came out as a security patch to protect against what would be the upcoming blaster worm... I guess Microsoft dropped the ball and screwed up on the patch.... .

I don&#39;t have an Administrators account anymore, I deleted it and replaced it with my own, which is set not only to Administrator, but as part of the OS. Which means I have access to the ins and outs of the entire system.

What&#39;s odd though, is that the system itself lost rights to the file.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Here&#39;s a couple images so you can get a visual of this crap:

Sorry if they look bad, didn&#39;t touch them in PS, cuz .... well... you know.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Take ownership of the folders and files and you should be able to change permissions. You may need to be the Administrator or have admin rights. Read my other reply on how to do that.