Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We Need More Supernodes!

Having everyone share isn't enough on the Fast Track Network / Kazaa.
    We still need sources to connect to that link us to those files. Those sources are supernodes. Without supernodes, we can't find the files we're looking for.

Although sharing is a very honorable thing to do, because without it we wouldn't have files, I need to ask everyone for a little more. Nobody stresses the fact that 5 to 10 supernodes die every day because of people updating Kazaa.

Version 1.3 and below had the supernode option enabled by default, but in the most recent versions, supernode was disabled because people were complaining about the excessive CPU usage that goes into Kazaa.

But most of us now have decent systems that go above and beyond the current software requirements.

Most of them are twice as fast as the government's servers of 1996, so CPU usage isn't a problem, since most of us aren't rendering 3d animation while Kazaa is running.

Benefits of having more supernodes:

+ A more widely dispersed network that links more files and sources together.

+ Localization of servers (the closer together the users, sources, and supernodes are, the faster data can be sent and recieved)

+ Having more nodes creates a better interdependence between users and sources.

What this all means: FASTER DOWNLOADS.

So be a supernode if you have a fairly decent system.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Hi there!
    About supernodes, in addition to what tegguy said, there might be some other problems than the high process usage: I've been and am right now a supernode, but sometimes while being one the whole network under kazaa disappears, meaning there's only one user (that's me), only my files etc. However the web side works, nothing wrong or unusual with connections/CPU usage, only the access to the Kazaa/Fast Track network is gone! And of course the problem goes away when I disable the supernode-mode...
    Any ideas what might be wrong, my system or the program/network? A bit funny this problem, You should have "better" access to the network when in "supermode"... B)
    Life is a bug, then You crash!

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    internet.news
    hi,

yes, you are right obviously :)

or better question: what can I do to support better sharing, means finding
    of sources?

1) be a supernode, when you have the possibility, means: RIAA is not close to you probably, and good would be to have a fast computer for supernode option.

2) if you have a fast internet connection allow more people
    to download files at once from you.

3) download some songs and offer it as second source -
    if many people offer hard-to-find-files they would be easier
    and faster to find and download.

thanks anyway, david.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    internet.news
    "... About supernodes, in addition to what tegguy said, there might be some other problems than the high process usage: I've been and am right now a supernode, but sometimes while being one the whole network under kazaa disappears, meaning there's only one user (that's me), only my files etc. However the web side works, nothing wrong or unusual with connections/CPU usage, only the access to the Kazaa/Fast Track network is gone! And of course the problem goes away when I disable the supernode-mode... ..."

hi again,

I now tried "force being a supernode" - ok, i am on dialup, but gave it a try -
    and: the first seconds being supernode I was the only user on network, after A FEW SECONDS MY SUPERNODE CONNECTED TO THE REST OF KAZAA LITE!!!!

thanks anyway, david.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    PAiNKiLLER
    You must also say how to turn on the supernodes & anything related to this...

Image Resized

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Go to Options, Kazaa Lite K++ Options go to either of the Advanced tabs, click "Force being a supernode" or uncheck "Do not function as a supernode", each option will counteract each other, so it doesn't matter which one you check.

Here are the minimum requirements for being a supernode(in my expert opinion):

++++Dialup(56k) connection other than AOL (NOT RECOMMENDED at all! But go ahead if you want)

++++ Intel Celeron 2ghz
    AMD Athlon 2200+
    Intel Pentium III 1.4ghz/ Pentium IV 1.5ghz

++++256mb of ram, no matter what type of ram you have

++++Ability to keep your system on for at least 8hrs straight (if you're not on, how can we connect to you? Most downloads would finish up in 8hrs, no matter how many you have)

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    hi!
    Just wanted to add that of the recommended minimum requirements I obviously lack CPU power (700 MHz Duron), but all others match up and the problem I have from time to time (no network as supernode) can come up by itself, and it does not go away with time, I've been out of network FOR HOURS at best (didn't notice when sleeping etc.)
    I also have at least moderately secured (e.g. 2 firewalls+Windows' own) system so I guess (no source code available, I believe...but if there is, I wanna know! ) it (the problem) could come from some little piece of data being blocked somewhere sometime without e.g. error/exception handling in the source code which could check the number of users (stupid example only) and try to figure it's way out, maybe optional automatic supernode disablement or something could help...
    Anyway, the program's great and the network too, I could thank for half of my life the people who developed this "poor's gateway to art, information and tools for today's world"... sounds a bit lame, but then again I could say I'm a sort of engineer so poetry doesn't show itself to me so usefully...sorry to waste your time with these
    Life is a bug, then You crash!

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    internet.news
    just wanted to add:

Also if you have not the best pc you can be a supernode - it will only
    slow down everthing probably - but if you have a new pc with some ghz,
    being a supernode should extremey slow down everything, I think.

cause I have 800mhz or something like this and it works...
    what think is if a supernode has not huge power less people can connect
    to it than to high power supernode!!!

but anyway: I WOULD THANK EVERYONE TO BE MORE OR LESS POWERFULL
    SUPERNODE. ANd if you think beinbg supernoder slow down everything,. you can
    turn on SUpernode Modus when gooing sleeping ... cause if you only have left
    kazaa supernode on your computer it should work fine...

:)thks anyway,

david.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    internet.news
    ok, just wanted to mention:

Remember: Every User on Kazaa is important, also if you not very long on kazaa
    as a supernode your important :) ok, obviously the best is 24/7h supernode :)
    but I would be glad to see people when being away from pc turned on supernode.

yes :) thks... nice dreams...

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    An 800mhz Duron is not recommended at all. Your cpu needs to be able to handle a lot of multitasking, as most users like to download while theyre supernodes.

If you want to just be a supernode and not download or upload, that would be fine, in fact, it would work a lot better.

Durons don't contain the power needed to be a server with good quality. They dont have SSE2, or MMX2.

Follow my recommendations, as most people don't even have 800mhz Durons anymore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast