Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton Antivirus Cracked

Old news ,but funny to read.

Norton Antivirus product activation cracked

Software giant Symantec last month announced that it will add product activation technology to all of its consumer products, starting with Norton Antivirus 2004. The idea is to prevent large-scale piracy operations from thieves who counterfeit Symantec programs and offer them to customers on the Web. The company estimates at least 3.6 million bogus copies of its programs are sold annually.

The measure may help alleviate the counterfeit problem, but the product activation itself is not exactly waterproof. The Register had no problem of finding a key generator on the Web and installing a full version of Norton Antivirus 2004 on several PCs without Symantec knowing it.

When you buy the product on a CD, you have to plug in a software key printed on the CD sleeve. From there, a wizard checks the hardware configuration, including the hard drive serial number and configuration.

Based on this information, the software creates an alphanumeric code and transmits this code to Symantec through the internet. Otherwise, the wizard prompts you to call an automated phone service to complete activation.

Here is where the activation fails miserably. The key generator will not only provide you with a serial number, but also with a final unlock code. No need to call an automated phone service either.

The key generator won't work with the trial versions, only with the full program which we located on a murky Russian website.

As is the case with Microsoft's product activation, the technology is based upon a key generation algorithm rather than a fixed database of real CD keys. All the key generator seems to be doing is reproducing this logic.

Other more obtrusive product activation techniques may prove unpopular. Earlier this year Intuit dropped its product activation policy after complaints from customers, who had to provide some basic information about their PC before they could use its TurboTax product.

SOURCE

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Haha, they will never stop pirates, I got NAV 2004 Pro on mine free of charge, dumb stupid CEO's.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Originally posted by [-Crono-]@22 September 2003 - 14:56
    Haha, they will never stop pirates, I got NAV 2004 Pro on mine free of charge, dumb stupid CEO's.
    YEah same here, but went back to corporate becuase its faster.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    DarkBlizzard's Avatar Poster
    Hmm.....dummy Norton people.....ANYTHING on a comp can be hacked

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    i have been waiting for the norton 2004 crack

still im sticking with corp.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by DarkBlizzard@22 September 2003 - 17:20
    ANYTHING on a comp can be hacked
    And every one said....AMEN!

BTW, you like Conker or something? Very good game on N64, soon to be on Xbox.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Originally posted by 4play@22 September 2003 - 15:23

Yep corps the best, with both got it from balamm.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    stupid Symantec....ppl cracked XP so NAV should have been way easier.....stupid activation.....hahahaha

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by Shad0w Hacker+22 September 2003 - 17:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shad0w Hacker @ 22 September 2003 - 17:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-4play@22 September 2003 - 15:23

Yep corps the best, with both got it from balamm. [/b][/quote]
    Hmm, I think I&#39;ll just wait untill Corp 2004, (Gotta stay up to date on this sorts of things)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast