Page 1 of 27 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: why not switch to usenet?

In this thread, I attempt to convert you to usenet users.

With all the trouble happening in the bt world, now is the time to jump on a secure and easy way to get your files.

Here are some brief benefits to usenet:

1) Privacy and security. Your IP is not publicly/privately available.
    2) Download files up to your retention at full speed, without worrying about seeders or anything.
    3) No ratios! Download all you want with an unlimited package.
    4) If you want to share, you can upload releases to usenet, upload nzbs to various sites (including FST) or you can spot posts on various forums.
    5) Reposts of files are very common, so you can catch up on releases you missed years ago.

To address the biggest con, cost, I will make a few brief points:
    1) Many of you folks spend more money on seedboxes.
    2) If you really want to share things freely, you can still share, in fact, you'd be sharing with millions of people rather than just a few hundred or thousand on a torrent site.
    3) Most of these users are paying the nominal fees too, but it's like paying a small subscription to a massive community.

So, why not switch to Usenet?

Edit in response to first reply:

I must acknowledge that some of you just cannot afford $11/month or may not be able to pay using a credit card or from your country. (Astraweb is the cheapest unlimited provider so I used their current rates.) I'm not directing this at you, but at those who could go with usenet, but choose torrents.
    Last edited by mikeHD; 04-22-2009 at 06:26 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    hotshot6473's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Well I know you tried to say that money shouldn't be an issue but it still is. When I got my seedbox I got such a huge amount uploaded that I would probably say that I am set for life on a few sites. That one small investment just bought me years of free stuff without the need for worrying about my ratio.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Is there any system to get free access to usenet?

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    BANNED BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeHD View Post
    In this thread, I attempt to convert you to usenet users.

With all the trouble happening in the bt world, now is the time to jump on a secure and easy way to get your files.

Here are some brief benefits to usenet:

1) Privacy and security. Your IP is not publicly/privately available.
    2) Download files up to your retention at full speed, without worrying about seeders or anything.
    3) No ratios! Download all you want with an unlimited package.
    4) If you want to share, you can upload releases to usenet, upload nzbs to various sites (including FST) or you can spot posts on various forums.
    5) Reposts of files are very common, so you can catch up on releases you missed years ago.

To address the biggest con, cost, I will make a few brief points:
    1) Many of you folks spend more money on seedboxes.
    2) If you really want to share things freely, you can still share, in fact, you'd be sharing with millions of people rather than just a few hundred or thousand on a torrent site.
    3) Most of these users are paying the nominal fees too, but it's like paying a small subscription to a massive community.

So, why not switch to Usenet?
    I tried using usenet, and it SUCKS. I havent even used my all download quota. Maybe i am noob, yet i didnt like it at all.Better use rapidshare, at least you have a way of checking whether the games actually work or not. Beside BT, Rapidshare is the best.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    usenet is fine for 0day, but for older files... good luck

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    @ BilkEnter

If you use an indexing site, you can surely find out in the comments if a game is working.

@ DouglasQuaid
    You clearly have no idea about how often files are reposted. Just skim through a.b.boneless (one of many newsgroups that would prove my point) to find releases that are years old. Tons of usenet users archive the releases and repost once classic files either on their own volition or by request.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasQuaid View Post
    usenet is fine for 0day, but for older files... good luck
    lol,lol
    most of the users here are little kids usenet is too complicated for them

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    BANNED BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeHD View Post
    @ BilkEnter

If you use an indexing site, you can surely find out in the comments if a game is working.

@ DouglasQuaid
    You clearly have no idea about how often files are reposted. Just skim through a.b.boneless (one of many newsgroups that would prove my point) to find releases that are years old. Tons of usenet users archive the releases and repost once classic files either on their own volition or by request.
    Comments were in german. If you mean the comments on an index site, that is another issue though, never used an index site. Still rapid is way better compared to usenet in my opinion.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    If you've ever just taken a shot at Usenet without using an nzb indexing site, either FST's own index or sites like Nzbsrus or NZBMatrix which are open signup, then I'm not surprised you find it complex.

Using an indexing site is just as easy as using a torrent site. Except there are fewer rules and no ratios. And they usually cost a bit of money for full access.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    deadalive1's Avatar VS ***** BT Rep: +2
    Kids, I tell ya kids.

No comparison between Usenet and RS or MU. Usenet pwns both of them.
    Please do not randomly PM asking for invites as I have none to give out. Have a nice day.

Page 1 of 27 123411 ... LastLast