Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do You Really Know About The Bible?

BANNED
    What Do You ReallyKnow About The Bible?

Bible Quiz.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Poster
    Or go here to find out what the

Freedom From Religion Foundation.

Say about themselves

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Poster
    Once again others may not take the same view.

WISCONSIN RAPIDS, WI - On Tuesday, the nine alderman of Wisconsin Rapids voted unanimously to accept a nativity scene for inclusion in the City's Christmas time display despite the threat of a lawsuit from the Freedom From Religion Foundation. RoseAnn Crowns, a citizen of Wisconsin Rapids, led a group of residents in offering the nativity scene to the City for display. RoseAnn was assisted in her efforts by Liberty Counsel, a civil liberties legal defense and education organization based in Orlando, Florida.

RoseAnn and the group of citizens offered the Nativity Scene for display because they had noted that the City's Christmas display contained only secular symbols such as Christmas trees, tin soldiers, Santa Claus, reindeer and snowmen. After the group offered the Nativity Scene to the City, the Freedom From Religion Foundation immediately threatened a lawsuit should the City decide to accept it.

RoseAnn contacted Liberty Counsel who provided her with information and an opinion letter. The information cited to two Supreme Court cases decided in 1984 and 1989 that clearly held that public displays of Nativity Scenes alongside other secular symbols are constitutional. Liberty Counsel's letter stated, "The Freedom From Religion Foundation would have no basis in fact or law to bring such a suit when the Supreme Court has so clearly ruled and could even open themselves to sanctions by the Court should they attempt to argue that a nativity scene in the context of other secular symbols of the season is unconstitutional." Liberty Counsel then offered the City free legal defense should the Freedom From religion Foundation sue over the nativity scene.

RoseAnn shared the information received from Liberty Counsel at the meeting and the nine alderman voted unanimously to accept the display. Alderman Alan Binnebose was quoted as saying, "The right thing is to put it up and not let Annie Gaylor (of Freedom From Religion Foundation) infringe on your rights."

Mat Staver, President and General Counsel of Liberty Counsel stated, "The issue of public displays of nativity scenes has been clearly settled by the Supreme Court for over ten years now, yet the Freedom From Religion Foundation insists on bullying city officials by adopting a position they know is not true." Staver continued, "It is encouraging to see a city who is not afraid of the empty threats of radical organizations. What the Freedom From Religion Foundation did in this case is simply despicable. They adopted a position they knew to be false in order to cow the city into submission to their out of step idea of what the role of religion should be in America."

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Poster
    Or indeed this comment on one of it's founders.

Freedom from religion? Just give me freedom from shrillness
    David Leibowitz
    Special for The Republic
    Mar. 9, 2003 12:00 AM

Funny how believing in a cause can work: You go merrily along, so certain, until you meet someone who agrees with you completely. Then, his or her ridiculousness changes your mind.

Consider yourself warned if you fancy yourself a strict separationist when it comes to matters of church and state, as well as a patriotic American made uncomfortable by "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance. I was, too, until a few days ago, when I spoke to Annie Laurie Gaylor, co-founder of the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

Annie Laurie came on the radio to applaud the ruling by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rendering the use of the pledge in public schools unconstitutional. Personally, I agreed with the judges' opinion. Whose God are we under? What if I'm an atheist? Why did we wait until 1954 to add "under God?"

Annie Laurie started off fine, labeling the pledge a "religious test," a vow made exclusionary by the reference to God. But then she got to the concept of harm and kind of lost it.

"It's harmed," she submitted. Harmed people how, she was asked?

"(President) Bush doesn't just want to declare war against Iraq," she explained. "He has declared a war against the wall of separation between church and state. He and his followers have done it based on this idea that our nation is founded on God. You hear people saying, 'It's on our money, it's in our pledge.' This symbolic violation has created a great deal of harm because people no longer honor this concept. They think that our country should be promoting God."

Here was the epiphany for yours truly. Seems to me, for every person I hear embracing the Bush administration and its emphasis on faith in politics, I hear someone else rejecting it. We still have that freedom in America in no smaller measure than we did in 1954, pre-"under God." It's a leap of logic to go from two words in the pledge to a theocracy and establishing a state religion.

So, again, what's the harm caused by the pledge? As I recall it from elementary school, it was hardly a religious moment. Not to mention, in Arizona, kids can abstain from the recitation. Tell us, Annie Laurie, how did you suffer by hearing those two words?

"Because it belittled me, made me a second-class citizen. Because I knew my family didn't believe in a god. I didn't have the wherewithal to decide whether I believed in a god or not when I was 5 years old. It was imposed on me."

That's it in a nutshell. This activist, a leader in a movement I had found sympathetic, had reduced her cause to victimization. Three decades later, she still hadn't gotten over hearing the words "under God" in a classroom. Personally, I still dislike the melding of church and state and I still cringe at the Bushies and their occasional holy rolling. But on the subject of the Pledge of Allegiance, Annie Laurie Gaylor brought me around by the sheer shrillness of her tale.

She's looking to the Supreme Court to cure what ails her. Why not try a therapist?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I want to know which version of the Bible they're using, because otherwise it's really a moot point.

Edit: Oddly enough, my King James Version appears to differ from theirs. Oops.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    BANNED
    So how did you do on the test JP??

When you argue in future that the bible is the word of your god, you'll have some background info.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@29 September 2003 - 13:27
    So how did you do on the test JP??

When you argue in future that the bible is the word of your god, you'll have some background info.

You get more pathetic all the time. Your strategy is so transparent, do you really think you can goad me this easily. Or that I will go away and allow you to spread your poison.

None if this deflects from what is obvious, you are a hate monger. You are at best deluded (I truly hope this is the case). At worst you are trying to turn people towards your point of view.

I take it that this is another of your sources of information BTW.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Billy Dean,

What's going on?
    Two threads on religion in the past week, a as yet to be revealed agenda, and so far no intimation of your religious beliefs.
    Not being religious myself I have refrained from posting in these threads. I do read them however, as a source of backround information.

It seems to me that you think you're springing some sort of trap. You got lots of sincere responses to your first topic, this one looks like the opening salvo of some sort of anti-religious tirade.

If you have a problem with religion in general, or a particular religion in specific, why not just come out in the open and say so?
    State your views and invite a response.

I think a lot of folks will be really pissed if all this is just the prelude to some "Aha!Gotcha!" moment...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    BANNED
    JPaul
    I take it that this is another of your sources of information BTW.
    Not at all JP, this is all new to me, and I have you to thank for enlightening me.
    In fact, the more I learn, the less I understand what you have against facism. Seems to me the catholic church has none of the qualities you seem to demand from others.

As Hitler said ..

"I have followed the Church in giving our party
    program the character of unalterable finality, like the Creed. The Church has
    never allowed the Creed to be interfered with. It is fifteen hundred years
    since it was formulated, but every suggestion for its ammendment, every
    logical criticsm or attack on it, has been rejected. The Church has realized
    that anything and everything can be built upon a document of that sort, no
    matter how contradictory, or irreconcilable with it. The faithful will
    swallow it whole, so long as logical reasoning is never allowed to be
    brought to bear on it."

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    BANNED
    Hi Clocko, I was wondering when you'd turn up.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast