Thread: Win 7 install on Raid 2tb HELP!!!

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    OK guys so I am trying to install Win 7 X64 build 7068 onto 3-750GB disks in raid 0. It doesn't appear that I need the drivers because it shows up when the option is given to install to a drive. I have tried installing the drivers anyway and that doesn't help either. If I use 2 drives instead of 3 it will work ok but I want all 3 dammit. What am I doing wrong here guys?? I'm stumped like. I've read that I have to format using GPT instead of a MBR but I simply cant find out how to go about doing this.
    Last edited by Detale; 04-23-2009 at 04:55 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Hmmm...not sure D., I've installed Win7 on a four disk array without issue.

After you build the array in BIOS and begin the OS install, once it sees the array as a viable target (i.e., the array shows up as a disk), you don't have to do anything....just hit install and let her rip.
    It'll do all the appropriate formatting itself.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    That's why I'm stumped. I figured if it can see the array than it doesn't need a driver right?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Right.
    No driver necessary and the OS isn't even aware of how many disks are used to build the array...it's just a target harddrive as far as Windows is concerned.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    OK so I gave up. I just used 2 disks making the size 1.5TB or something. I cant wait anymore I just want to use my damn rig already.

I think it has something to do with a limit on the size of a drive that windows can be installed on. There is an older bios for the Mobo that says "Support raid HDD up to above 2000GB size" but its f5 (11.14.08)and the current is f9. I just wanted to see what performance increase I would get from 3 drives in Raid as opposed to 2.
    Last edited by Detale; 04-23-2009 at 05:10 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Pussy.

Why not create a smaller RAID volume from the 3 disks...say around 60GB
    Create a second volume with what's left over.
    Install the OS on the smaller volume.

That's how I did it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    What OS are you installing, BTW.
    Talking to a friend last night and he mentioned a possible 2TB limit in XP, so your problem might be software based, not hardware.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but i am having the same issue.

3 1TB Drives (Brand new, not formated yet), Raid 0, Windows 7 sees the drive at 2756gig (or there abouts) but Format etc etc is greyed out, and when i go to next i get an error along the lines of (PC is upstairs, so this is just from memory)

Setup was unable to see a partition, or a logical partition, check the setup log files for more details.

But it wont even let me format, so no idea whats going on.

I think mine may be a different problem to Detale`s. its my Nforce Mobo.

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/inst...s-vt72337.html

P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP

and thats my mobo.

but its 02:30 atm, so to tired to burn boot disks and what not, so will have another go tomorrow, but according to that thread, you have to put the emergency disk in every time you boot windows 7 or you get a BSOD, not sure if i can be bothered with that though.
    Last edited by stoi; 04-26-2009 at 01:31 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Pussy.

Why not create a smaller RAID volume from the 3 disks...say around 60GB
    Create a second volume with what's left over.
    Install the OS on the smaller volume.

That's how I did it.
    I did try and make it smaller like I said 1.5TB. I didn't think to make a 60 gig or so and use the rest as storage.

I'm using the Win7 RC1. I know I said I gave up but it's been haunting me so I may just have to say fuck it and reinstall all over again till I get it right. Maybe next weekend I'll have some time. I do believe this to be a software issue now so

Stoi, That sucks about the mobo. I wouldn't like to have to keep a boot disk in there for each restart, that's just insane IMO. Maybe try what Clocker said have to partitions and see if that works.
    Last edited by Detale; 04-26-2009 at 07:13 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I just gave up and installed windows 7 on 1 of the hdds.

If I ever do build a new PC it will be something i do though.