Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New developments inTPB - case - judge biased!

Sylar666's Avatar Kingpin BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Judge biased? Seems very much the case!

"One of the biggest cases in file-sharing history ended last week with The Pirate Bay Four sentenced to huge fines and jail time. Today it is revealed that far from being impartial, the judge in the case is a member of pro-copyright groups - along with Henrik Pontén, Monique Wadsted and Peter Danowsky. There are loud calls for a retrial."

...Swedish Association of Copyright (SFU) - The judge Tomas Norström is a member of this discussion forum that holds seminars, debates and releases the Nordic Intellectual Property Law Review. Other members of this outfit? Henrik Pontén (Swedish Anti-Piracy Bureau), Monique Wadsted (movie industry lawyer) and Peter Danowsky (IFPI) - the latter is also a member of the board of the association.

Swedish Association for the Protection of Industrial Property (SFIR) - The judge Tomas Norström sits on the board of this association that works for stronger copyright laws. Last year they held the Nordic Championships in Intellectual Property Rights Process Strategies.

.SE (The Internet Infrastructure Foundation) - Tomas Norström works for the foundation that oversees the .se name domain and advises on domain name disputes. His colleague at the foundation? Monique Wadsted. Wadsted says she’s never met Norström although they have worked together."

Details: Torrentfreak
    http://href.hu/x/8tyg
    Last edited by Sylar666; 04-23-2009 at 05:03 PM.
    A malis vituperari laus est.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    If this is true, it's probably the best thing that could have happened to the filesharing community, would be a huge blow to the lobby groups. I always thought that the first verdict was absolutely ridiculous to begin with, so it would not surprise me in the slightest if this was true.

The negative publicity will be immense, and in the next instance, the pressure to have impartial and 'clean' judges, a fair trial, even bigger.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Owned

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Sylar666's Avatar Kingpin BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    This is selfpwned BIGTIME!
    Last edited by Sylar666; 04-23-2009 at 05:15 PM.
    A malis vituperari laus est.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    It is true it seems, other (non filesharing related) major news portals are reporting it now also. Haha, this is great. The best thing is that the judge won't even deny being member of those pro-copyright groups, but claims that his membership had no influence on the verdict! Seriously, where do you Swedes find these people?

What an utter idiot, I seriously hope that there will be a retrial now, it's beyond ridiculous now.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    good news
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    MODERATION BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    i hope it will help all BT sites.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Wouldn't get too optimistic. The next judge could easily be bought like the previous one.

Sure it's good news, though it will take ages until another verdict is reached (if of course a retrial is allowed).

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Don't think that the next judge can be 'easily bought' again, not after this. It's an issue now, so if there is a retrial, or even in the next instance, it will be in the focus of the public.

Very amateurish by the content lobby mafia to be honest. And the TPB lawyers should have checked this before the trial began, would have made things easier, too.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    zelexir's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    The verdict was rediculous, especially when considering the consequences (Google illegal? etc.).

But this might actually just make the process slower, as we probably will go to the highest court with this case anyhow, and that verdict is the important one. This might on the other hand buy some time and get the "Antipiratbyrån" of BT communities backs... for the time being.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast