Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you have to be a trekkie to enjoy the Star Trek movies?

Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Martinator View Post
    Ok, so I've never watched any Star Trek movie before. I've been reading reviews of them and they seem like very good movies. I've decided to download and watch them. I only have 1 problem, I've seen probably 5-10 episodes of Star Trek allthogether. It's not that I don't like it it's just on TV at an hour that doesn't suit me.

Anyway, my question is, do you think I could enjoy the movies anyway?
    I think yes, just like you have to be a freak to enjoy Harry Poter Movies or Star Wars movies. Well I just don't see anything special on this franchises. But whenever a new Harry Poter movie comes out or a new Star Wars movie comes out people just go nuts over some movie that really isn't anything special.

I have never enjoyed a Star trek movie tbh. I have not wached any of the newer shows except for some episodes of "The Next generation" and some original Star Trek episodes because back in those days there really wasn't anything good on TV to watch lol.

Quote Originally Posted by EhNam View Post
    I hate star Trek and the new movie ROCKED!!
    go check it out guys very well done.
    I have to say that this new movie does seem like something you could enjoy even if you are not a fan.
    Last edited by saulin; 05-20-2009 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. Movies & TV   -   #22
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I would answer but I'm still in shock from learning that there are actually people who have never seen Star Trek.
    Ugh, I'm 22. And we don't have reruns of it in my country.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

3. Movies & TV   -   #23
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    And you've never seen a Star Trek movie ?

btw It wasn't an attack I was mostly trying to make I joke .Still Star Trek, whether you happen to like it or not, is probably the most culturally significant TV series ever so I am surprised that anyone,anywhere would not have at least a passing knowledge of it.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 05-21-2009 at 03:39 PM.

4. Movies & TV   -   #24

btw It wasn't an attack I was mostly trying to make I joke .Still Star Trek, whether you happen to like it or not, is probably the most culturally significant TV series ever so I am surprised that anyone,anywhere would not have at least a passing knowledge of it.
    I have not. At least untill I started this thread. Since then, I've watched the first 8.

I live in a country that used to be ruled by comunism. Everything came a few years late, and that which wasn't liked by the people in charge didn't arrive at all. By the 1990s it wasn't cool to show 20+ year old shows. They never did air the newer Star trek shows also.

But I did watch SG-1, lol.

PS: It wasn't taken as an attack. I was just explaining. I can imagine it can be hard for you to comprehend.

5. Movies & TV   -   #25

6. Movies & TV   -   #26
    The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10

I remember watching it as a kid, but back then since TV was banned at my crib anything was a potential drug.

Anyhow I can't really remember much now, and looking at it (screenshots and that), as well as George Lucas (SW), makes me feel slightly queasy, so I won't watch any of it.

7. Movies & TV   -   #27
    I honestly don't see why it has gotten such good reviews.Besides being cliche and the characters nothing but badly drawn caricatures of the originals Star Trek commits the one Cardinal sin for an action picture - it isn't very exciting .

8. Movies & TV   -   #28
    I honestly don't see why it has gotten such good reviews.Besides being cliche and the characters nothing but badly drawn caricatures of the originals Star Trek commits the one Cardinal sin for an action picture - it isn't very exciting .
    Were you watching the same movie as me?! Of course it's not perfect, but you can't say it wasn't exiting...

9. Movies & TV   -   #29
    well jj abrams said that it was a new take on the franchise and that he wasn't even a star trek fan.

from a marketing perspective i could see why paramount went ahead with his vision in the sense that they really needed to "mondernize" star trek itself and move away from the negativity surrounding the franchise and it fanbase.

however there was still that hint of 'old' star trek that i hope we can see fleshed out in the inevitable sequels to follow.

10. Movies & TV   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Martinator View Post
    Were you watching the same movie as me?! Of course it's not perfect, but you can't say it wasn't exiting...
    None of the big action scenes ,with the exception of the prologue ,held any real drama. This was probably due to what I alluded to earlier that none of the characters were fleshed out at all ( with the exception of Scotty or even particularly likable for that matter) and so I couldn't have cared less what happened to them.

Someone forgot to tell Abrams that unless you are 10 years old ( or Michael Bay) things simply blowing up means nothing .Some of the most memorable action scenes ever required little or no FX just relevance to the story and an emotional connection to the characters.

The big sequences in Star Trek -
    Spoiler: Show
    were either poorly done
    or simply tacked on so that it would appear that something was occasionally happening .They didn't progress the story or have any relevance to/ resonate in the characters.

I might have been able to overlook all that but for the sadly inadequate finale
    .Too easy.After a movie that was all build up to that point it should have been epic .The enterprise and it's crew pushed to the absolute limit of ability and courage ( watch something like Saving Private Ryan is you want to see it done right) .

I agree that the franchise was due for a reboot- the TV series had become far too talky and only really accessible to the true fan .This just didn't cut the mustard( granted still better than the original Star Trek movie.That was all FX too and although people were more dazzled by effects in those days it was a real snoozefest)
    I do believe that there was a potential for a good movie with this cast in there somewhere but sadly for me at least it never materialized.

PS. I am beginning to think that J.J. Abrams really sucks.With the exception of Lost (of which his actual contribution to is unclear ) and the initial season of Alias he is mostly a fail.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 05-31-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast