Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do you have to be a trekkie to enjoy the Star Trek movies?

SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    I HATE Star Trek, but I went to see the new movie, had nothing better to do and had a little cash, so I seen it, it was good, I actually knew who Spock was, who knew But anyway I though the movie was a pretty decent flick overall.
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 05-31-2009 at 04:30 PM.
    [center]

2. Movies & TV   -   #32
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    i dunno how you can hate star trek when they had these mighty violent scenes back in the early seasons.
    just check it out, it's quite worth the click:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1eFdUSnaQM&NR=1

3. Movies & TV   -   #33
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Martinator View Post

Were you watching the same movie as me?! Of course it's not perfect, but you can't say it wasn't exiting...
    None of the big action scenes ,with the exception of the prologue ,held any real drama. This was probably due to what I alluded to earlier that none of the characters were fleshed out at all ( with the exception of Scotty or even particularly likable for that matter) and so I couldn't have cared less what happened to them.

Someone forgot to tell Abrams that unless you are 10 years old ( or Michael Bay) things simply blowing up means nothing .Some of the most memorable action scenes ever required little or no FX just relevance to the story and an emotional connection to the characters.

The big sequences in Star Trek -
    Spoiler: Show
    were either poorly done
    or simply tacked on so that it would appear that something was occasionally happening .They didn't progress the story or have any relevance to/ resonate in the characters.

I might have been able to overlook all that but for the sadly inadequate finale
    .Too easy.After a movie that was all build up to that point it should have been epic .The enterprise and it's crew pushed to the absolute limit of ability and courage ( watch something like Saving Private Ryan is you want to see it done right) .

I agree that the franchise was due for a reboot- the TV series had become far too talky and only really accessible to the true fan .This just didn't cut the mustard( granted still better than the original Star Trek movie.That was all FX too and although people were more dazzled by effects in those days it was a real snoozefest)
    I do believe that there was a potential for a good movie with this cast in there somewhere but sadly for me at least it never materialized.

PS. I am beginning to think that J.J. Abrams really sucks.With the exception of Lost (of which his actual contribution to is unclear ) and the initial season of Alias he is mostly a fail.
    I would lie if I said you don't have a point. I went to see the movie during my time off from studying, so you could say my brain was that of a 10 year old. The explosions were cool and so was the quick shooting (you have to give credit to that, the 1 shot per minute in the old movies was pretty boring). Honestly, right now the movie is hyped. Wait a few years (and maybe for the sequels) and we'll see how good it really is.

Cabalo, lol. I wish I had been around in the 60s.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234