Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Could Trigger This To Happen

Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    if u suspect it may be bios, try updating it, has ur computer done this again, or just the once, if tis only done it once just leave it

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Originally posted by footballmad@24 September 2003 - 02:45
    Possible power surge???

Sorry but you seem to have checked most other things.
    i'm not aware of power surge can trigger the power to the bios/motherboard! wanna elaborate?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Just spitballing here. If somebody close to you (neighbor) has the same wireless mouse & keyboard you do, they could be on the same "channel" as you. Heard of this happening.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by Livy@24 September 2003 - 04:32
    if u suspect it may be bios, try updating it, has ur computer done this again, or just the once, if tis only done it once just leave it
    i did, no update was needed, and they helped check for bugs/trojan or anything irregular. no luck.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by zapjb@24 September 2003 - 04:33
    Just spitballing here. If somebody close to you (neighbor) has the same wireless mouse & keyboard you do, they could be on the same "channel" as you. Heard of this happening.
    believe me, the way I approach technical problem-solving is by looking at the least possibilities and/or odd ones, like what u said. the only wireless i have is the mouse. tested and spoke to microsoft, confirmed to me it's not possible (especially that i have it setup to turn off power). all good points tho.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Please note, I can simply donate this PC to some org and just build another from scratch. that's not why i'm trying to figure this out. instead, first I like tech chanllanges, second, it would be a good learning experience to know why (remember, the 00:59:59 is what's tempting me the most to find out why), third sharing knowldge is my middle name.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Forum Star
    third sharing knowldge is my middle name.
    me too

you spelt 'challenges' wrong

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    00:59:59 seems way to precise to be caused by anything like a power surge or ants - I don't think this is a tech. problem, call your local cleric/psychic/David Duchovny
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Forum Star
    The only thing that could boot up a computer that is completely shutdown (not hibernating or something) is the mainboard itself.

So it must be in the bios or something hardware related.

Wake on LAN?
    Wake on Ring?
    Restart on power-loss + electrical outage/surge?

The last one is the most likely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12