Thread: Why Are Divx Movies So Quiet?

TheMerryMaker
    many, many of the the movies i play on my computer are way unnormalized and/or just really quiet in the first place. i offen have to turn my speakers way up especialy during intensionaly quieter parts. then when its gets loud it get way loud.

so, any tips or tricks to fix this?

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    U can download the kazaa lite codec pack on the kazaa lite home page and make sure the TCF or TCM Audio Filter (something like that) box is checked before u install with that u can adjust the audio while it's playing. Very good program it will pop up every time u watch a movie.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Poster
    that tcm audio filter is more trouble than its worth

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    you can use virtualdub to crank up the volume by upto 1000 percent. however that bloats the filesize too so be careful if you wanna burn it to a cd

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Originally posted by TheMerryMaker@23 September 2003 - 23:53
    many, many of the the movies i play on my computer are way unnormalized and/or just really quiet in the first place. i offen have to turn my speakers way up especialy during intensionaly quieter parts. then when its gets loud it get way loud.

so, any tips or tricks to fix this?
    sounds like a problem with DRC(dynamic range control). Problem is, I adjust my drc within the .70acm filter configuration and you might not have that installed. Basically you want to use drc for non-music based media(like movies with lots of talking) and use light drc or no drc for music related media(like music videos). Hope it helps.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Poster
    you can choose one of the following otions:

option 1:
    extract the audio stream with virtual dub. it says SAVE WAV, but if the stream is in mp3, the extracted stream will be a mp3. you can change the audio volume from the extracted file WITHOUT REENCODING using a program named mp3gain. then, mux the audio and the video using avimux. very useful program, easier to mux than virtualdub or nandub. also, it supports vbr mp3 streams better.

option 2:
    use dedynamic filter. some people say it won't work with ac3 streams. it does work with ac3 streams if you use the exact decoder for it. in this case, the audio decoders installed with radlight 3, in the filters folder. i use bsplayer, so i copied them to the bsplayer folder and registered them with regsvr32.exe. the files are "dedynamic.ax", "mpgaudio.ax", "dvdaudio.ax". if you use bsplayer, copy the files to the bsplayer folder and register them. if you copy them to the "/windir/system" or "/windir/system32" folder, it won't work. if u decide to use the dedynamic/mpgaudio/dvdaudio filters, don't forget to uninstall/unregister any other ac3 decoder installed on your system, and configure the dedynamic filter correctly.

option 3:
    use bsplayer and a winamp dsp plugin. i recommend the sqrsoft compressor/limiter. i use the expander function. it works well with all movies, even those which contain ac3 audio.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    But unless he's going to encode it doesn't have to do all that.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Poster
    sorry, i did not make myself clear on my last post.

those were options. you can choose option 1, option 2 or option 3.

choose one of them and it's done.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    Fro me, I had to go into control pannel and then AC3 filter, then put the gain to full. Worked for me (After i rebooted). That's the simplist way.