Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my first letter from Charter...

Poster BT Rep: +1
    Seems Charter and NBC had a little rendezvous on my behalf behind my back. I got my first letter this day, and am wondering what the heck it means.. From what I gather reading the news of late, it looks like the climate is changing dramatically. Somehow, I thought using private communities would prevent this, but I was probably just naive.

Anyways, any thoughts, considerations, or recommendations are very welcome.. Arrr..

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    What is the letter saying, are they threatening to sue you?

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Switch to usenet. With SSL is pretty damn safe.

The letter probably says that you downloaded something copyrighted blah blah blah and that they want you to give them a call. Use the same old excuse that you have a wireless router and that you are not sure how to setup security on it.

Oh yeah next time make sure to enable encryption on your BT client, change port from deault. Avoid public trackers. Do not enable DHT or peer exchange or other crap that makes the downloading less secure.
    Last edited by saulin; 05-07-2009 at 05:38 PM.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    Do you know from which place this letter originated?

NBC -> the letter is about a TV show? Do they note a certain file?

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    I'm guessing you used torrents? You are never really secure with torrents, no matter what you do. Even if you enable encryption, anyone in the swarm can still see you are connected and your IP address. Being part of a private community does not help either, think about it, if you can gain access to a private tracker then surely someone from RIAA or elsewhere that has been trained can get in too?

I recommend usenet, it's not completely secure but it is probably the best you can get without using private FTP servers.
    Last edited by UsenetGuy; 05-17-2009 at 03:35 PM.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    The letter was from NBC.. Apparently, one of the 'items' I downloaded from a semi-private site (demonoid) was linked to a public tracker, aka, the pirate bay, and hence, I got the letter. It does not state I need to call them, only that I need to delete the material, and cease all activity with it. I guess I got to cocky.. Should have paid better attention to what I was doing..

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Yeah Demonoid allows people to upload public torrents. It's semi-private at best. You might want to start looking into completely private trackers.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Blackbeard's Avatar <3 rock BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    If your gonna use public trackers at least use pg2.. i even use it on private trackers it's better than nothing at least it will block some of their ips.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    captive's Avatar speaks.his.mind
    never ever use a public tracker, and if your gonna use torrents make sure its a very private site, and if you cant get into one...NG works too...its prety dam safe.
    Last edited by captive; 05-16-2009 at 01:37 PM.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearful View Post
    If your gonna use public trackers at least use pg2.. i even use it on private trackers it's better than nothing at least it will block some of their ips.
    I think we should discuss an important word today.

And that word is: Placebo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast