Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Usenetserver offering accounts for $10/mo for life

https://accounts.usenetserver.com/special/

$10/mo for the life of your account, offer valid for new subscriptions only.

Does anyone have any recent experience with Usenetserver? The last time I think I used them was when Dwight Ringdahl was still running the place before he sold it to Highwinds.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Highwinds sound like Astraweb at least so I've heard Astraweb stores data on Highwinds, I might be wrong. But Astraweb is only $1 more and are highly reguarded as the best, well tied with Giganews.
    [center]

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I used usenetserver.com like 6 years ago. Back then, they had lots of issues with incompletes but that was 6 years ago at least. They have been around for a while. That's $10/mo with unlimited speed? It sounds like a deal depending on their retention. Remember that Astraweb has 270 days of retention already for $11/mo.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    im with astraweb

ill NEVER switch.

http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html

do your homework.

viva l'astraweb !

(thanks for letting us know though, srsly)
    Last edited by ericab; 05-14-2009 at 03:58 AM.
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Im not advocating switching to UNS. Ive been with Astraweb for over a year now and have nothing but good things to say about them. Except for a couple small glitches getting the account set up I have been very happy with their service. Im not about to change for $1/mo. Also they are located on the West Coast like I am and that means several thousand fewer miles between me and the news server I am downloading from.
    Last edited by unoriginal; 05-14-2009 at 09:18 AM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    Highwinds sound like Astraweb at least so I've heard Astraweb stores data on Highwinds, I might be wrong. But Astraweb is only $1 more and are highly reguarded as the best, well tied with Giganews.
    astraweb is their own entity, in no way associated with highwinds.
    in other words.. astraweb is not a reseller, they sell themsevles and own their own network/fibre channel drives. (same with giganews....)
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    They are, they have data stored on their high winds server, it was mentioned in another thrad about batman, check the batman thread.
    [center]

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Astraweb run their own backend, highwinds is an entirely seperate organization.
    Last edited by UsenetGuy; 05-17-2009 at 03:33 PM.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    I'm quoting you here:

I think astraweb were probably asked to remove it for copyright infringement, seems to be there on a highwinds server.
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-new...64-esir-348588
    Were you just saying highwinds as in the "name of the server" or as in highwinds company.......?
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 05-14-2009 at 03:59 PM.
    [center]

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    On that post what I meant was I think astraweb were asked to remove it for copyright infringement but I checked on highwinds-media and they still have it. I could have worded the post a bit better
    Last edited by UsenetGuy; 05-17-2009 at 03:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast