Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Miss Usenet....

brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    My wife is notoriously cheap. She cut me off when the ISPs stopped offering free news servers.

I'm about to put my foot down, however. Torrenting is a drag, man.

-bd
    Last edited by brotherdoobie; 05-15-2009 at 03:15 AM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    JustDOSE's Avatar look at my meatwad
    11$ a month? also isnt there a free usenet thread on this forum "Free IPv6 News Servers"
    Pimpn aint easy ®

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Yes there is a thread on free one's, shit though I'm there with ya, not the wife thing, but he economy is getting hard on everyone, but hell if I can afford the internet I can afford $11 for my downloads, sure beats Torrents...
    [center]

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    It's not that I can't afford it. I paid for Giganews and before that Easynews forever, like. My wife cut back her hours at work and now she's acting as if we're paupers. She's always been cheap - and now she's unbearable, ffs.

That is all.

-bd
    Last edited by brotherdoobie; 05-15-2009 at 04:57 PM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Well you can still use the free servers, 100 days retention.
    [center]

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    We just suspended our satellite service for the summer. With all the tv series wrapping up this month I convinced my wife it would be better to save the $65/mo for a while. Now I can go back and download everything that I didnt have time for earlier this year. Is there someplace that you can cut back slightly and make up the difference for usenet? My wife said the other day, "The money that we pay to that newsgroup place is the best 11 bucks we spend each month."

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by brotherdoobie View Post
    It's not that I can't afford it. I paid for Giganews and before that Easynews forever, like. My wife cut back her hours at work and now she's acting as if we're paupers. She's always been cheap - and now she's unbearable, ffs.

That is all.

-bd
    So you can afford usenet and do not need free servers. It seems to me all your doing is complaining about your wife on a file sharing talk website.. Good luck brother!
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Poster
    My wife is notoriously cheap. She cut me off when the ISPs stopped offering free news servers.

I'm about to put my foot down, however. Torrenting is a drag, man.

-bd
    Well! The solution is real simple! Get rid of torrents AND the wife!!

With this attitude it's no wonder people aren't surprised when i tell them I am not married anymore!

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    It's what I always tell folks, it's what you can tolerate for how much coin leaves (or doesn't leave) your pocket.

In most if not all cases, there are cost reductions/savings to be had in areas that (for whatever reason) people simply don't look at or think about. For instance, you pay x for your ISP feed, yet I'll bet your analog phone bill is way more than a couple bucks a month, yet VOIP has been around for ages (I used to engineer corporate systems 20 years ago, when the TA (terminal adapters) were in the range of $1K/per channel). Some 15 years ago I went with Vonage (cut 'phone' bill in half, $40+ to <$20. Now the next stage has it down to $20/YEAR.

The same thing is starting to happen with cell phones. I'm about to change my carriers, get virtually unlimited service, for the same amount of coin I currently pay for a minimum account.

There are 'constants' in the world, there simply is no 'free lunch' when it comes to things like gas and such (although it should be at the forefront of your mind when getting that next car).

But the funds I allocate to this little bit of messing around is, for the time and effort (and 'fun') that it results in, a very large 'bang for the buck'. For what parts of it have cost in the past (descent internet speeds >#100/month, blank dvd's >$5ea, 30GB HD's >$300, 1GHZ CPUs >#400, $30/month usenet servers with <1 month retention, all of which I've paid for in the 'dim' past of some 5+ years or so ago), if the whole shebang gets any cheaper I'm going to need surgery on where my jaw hits the floor.

Then again, you might keel over looking at MY satellite tv bill; but it's my biggest revolving/monthly expensive other than medical needs. But for the amount of hours in a given day the 'box' is spewing forth, it's really almost cheap as well. Helps keep me off the street.
    Last edited by Beck38; 05-17-2009 at 03:28 PM.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy72 View Post

That is all.

-bd
    So you can afford usenet and do not need free servers. It seems to me all you're doing is complaining about your wife on a file sharing talk website.. Good luck brother!

/fixed

I'm going to check out one of the free servers. Thanks all.

-bd
    Last edited by brotherdoobie; 05-18-2009 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast