Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is Your Christianity?

Originally posted by JPaul@1 October 2003 - 21:39
    You can join in when we are leaughing at the atheists and saying to the agnostics, if you could only have taken just a wee bit on trust.
    You may be laughing at the athiests in heaven, but most of them are laughing at you now.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #92
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Strangely, there are very many Buddhist Deity's. Very basically, during ones life time one is indeed confronted with gods. The truth turns out to be that they are all different aspects of one's character. If you become, during your lifetime, 'enlightened' then you realize during your death, that they are just your own fears, hopes and projections. Knowing this truth you then become a Buddha. Hopefully this realization occurs way before one dies.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #93
    Poster
    Originally posted by loz+2 October 2003 - 00:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (loz &#064; 2 October 2003 - 00:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JPaul@1 October 2003 - 21:39
    You can join in when we are leaughing at the atheists and saying to the agnostics, if you could only have taken just a wee bit on trust.
    You may be laughing at the athiests in heaven, but most of them are laughing at you now. [/b][/quote]
    Cool, I&#39;ll take that deal.

They can laugh at me for 70 years or so, even tho&#39; I respect their right to believe what they want (indeed support it) and just ask the same from them.

Then I get the rest of eternity, that seems fair enough.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #94
    Poster
    Originally posted by nigel123@2 October 2003 - 00:19
    Strangely, there are very many Buddhist Deity&#39;s. Very basically, during ones life time one is indeed confronted with gods. The truth turns out to be that they are all different aspects of one&#39;s character. If you become, during your lifetime, &#39;enlightened&#39; then you realize during your death, that they are just your own fears, hopes and projections. Knowing this truth you then become a Buddha. Hopefully this realization occurs way before one dies.
    I would love to pretend I understand that and nod sagely.

However I can&#39;t and probably now feel the same way that others feel when they read my posts.

EDIT - forgive this, but the apostrophe (Deity&#39;s) would mean belonging to Deity. My Deitys is almost certainly equaly incorrect. Deities is probably correct, someone can let us know the real pluralisation (which may or may not be a real word).

5. The Drawing Room   -   #95
    Originally posted by JPaul+2 October 2003 - 00:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul &#064; 2 October 2003 - 00:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nigel123@2 October 2003 - 00:19
    Strangely, there are very many Buddhist Deity&#39;s. Very basically, during ones life time one is indeed confronted with gods. The truth turns out to be that they are all different aspects of one&#39;s character. If you become, during your lifetime, &#39;enlightened&#39; then you realize during your death, that they are just your own fears, hopes and projections. Knowing this truth you then become a Buddha. Hopefully this realization occurs way before one dies.
    I would love to pretend I understand that and nod sagely.

However I can&#39;t and probably now feel the same way that others feel when they read my posts.

EDIT - forgive this, but the apostrophe (Deity&#39;s) would mean belonging to Deity. My Deitys is almost certainly equally incorrect. Deities is probably correct, someone can let us know the real pluralisation (which may or may not be a real word). [/b][/quote]
    Luckily if that realization does not occur, one gets another chance in ones next life.

Incidentally, Jesus is considered to be a Buddha. There are many practicing Christian Buddhists in the world.

I believe you are correct in spelling Deity&#39;s, Deities...

Edit: N.B. Remember the last words that Jesus said on the cross. There is a story in Tibet that Jesus, during his youth, visited Tibet. He was trained by a Lama, Lama Sabachthani. I am not sure of the correct spelling. These were the last words that Jesus uttered. He was calling for his Lama. A very natural thing for a Budhhist to do when he/she is dying.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #96
    Poster
    Originally posted by nigel123@2 October 2003 - 00:35

There are many practicing Christian Buddhists in the world.

Are any of them good at it yet.

Seriously though, I have sympathised with that view oft times. I don&#39;t see the two as necessarily being mutually exclusive.

I remain undecided on this one, would this be considered a type of Christian / Buddhism agnosticism.

What dreams may come - the movie, not the Hamlet quote. If you have seen the movie you will understand the Christian / Budhist reference.

To sleep perhaps to dream, aye there&#39;s the rub,
    for in that sleep of death what dreams may come.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #97
    Poster
    Didn&#39;t he say "forgive them father, they know not what they do".

Perhaps you mis-heard Abba, Abba as Lama, Lama.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #98
    All I can say is that I hope people will consider the possibility. Buddha prophesied that 500 years after his death a new Buddha would manifest, to help get people back on the tracks. 500 years after Buddha died Jesus was born.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #99
    Originally posted by JPaul@2 October 2003 - 01:04
    Didn&#39;t he say "forgive them father, they know not what they do".

Perhaps you mis-heard Abba, Abba as Lama, Lama.
    That is the English transltion of Eli, Eli, Lama Sabachtani. He was heard to say Eli, Eli, Lama Sabachtani. This is then translated into, "My God,my God, why have you forsaken me.

The very question I keep asking, why have You, forsaken us?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #100
    Poster
    Originally posted by nigel123@2 October 2003 - 01:12
    All I can say is that I hope people will consider the possibility. Buddha prophesied that 500 years after his death a new Buddha would manifest, to help get people back on the tracks. 500 years after Buddha died Jesus was born.
    I, for one will consider all possibilities mate.

There are more things in heaven and earth Horatio than are dreamt of in your philosophy .

I like the cut of your jib nigel, you appear open to the unpossible.

Though I have to say that, as I recall 3 of the 4 Gospels give an account of His last words. Again as I recall they are all different.

Edit ; Perhaps that is why the version you quote is different from mine.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast