Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maintenance Programs.

Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    at the moment i dont have any maintanace programs on my computer, the only things i have are regcleaner and adaware, and spybot.
    what are good maintenace progs, i used to have norton sytemworks, but i lost the cd. im running xp if that makes any difference to some programs,

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    IMO the OS's now days dont require as much maintanace as the older ones if ya keep the registry in shape keep all the spyware crap off all you really need to do is delete any temp files etc lying around and defrag every now and then and a good old format every so often does wonders

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i run adware and spybot every so often. and defrag when i can. and clean registry with regcleaner aswell, but there probably is some crapf iles lying bout left by prgs and other things like dead shortcuts etc.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    i think the prog's your using now, r perfect 4 keeping your comp in shape, as long u have a

Virus Scanner

and sum sort of spyware scanner

u sud b fine...

and i agree formatting your machine evry so often ( me i do it every 6 months )

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i used to format ma machine when i thought it needed it, sometime slonger than others, but its a pain in the ass, im currently trying to setup an unattended setup disk, which is harder than it looks. i dont have a virus scanner, just be carfeull, havent had a virus in about 2 years, do online scans

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    -WinCleanerUltra is a handy, one stop system cleaner. You can choose to check/scrub separate areas ( temp internet files, etc.) or just one click and do everything at once.

-Diskeeper
    Is my favorite defrag utility
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    BANNED
    Apart from the the ones already mentioned ..and i slightly agree with exeus, except for reformating every so often.I dont think theres ever a simple need to reformat,as long as u dont fiddle with what u dont understand and just use it to run the apps u put on,a regular clean up and defrag should keep it stable.I've tried near enought every tool out there and just dont like them.So i just keep it clean as i go along manually,then once a week i just use tweakxps unnessary files util and dustbuster xp(original sources Zabjb)which clean up all the temp and old files.As for the reg i either use jv6 tweakxp's on occasion or do it manually.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    norton system works is good, i also reccomend formatting every few months

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I'd add as well jv16 PowerTools, Ace Utilities & Norton WinDoctor. All the others registry tinkers CAUSE problems.
    OK so I'm off now. That Window Washers will f up your computer stay away. I hate that fn prog & people luv it. Then they go on to say how they have these random problems with their OS. And they NEVER connect it with that POS prog Windows Washer. Even when I tell them. lol. Then they go on to say how they either reformat or reinstall their OS every month or 2 at least. My computers humming along & I have'nt reformatted or reinstalled in over 18 months!
    OK now I can bite my tongue for a while longer when the next otherwise sane person insists that some BS prog like WW ISN'T fn up their computer. When I know it is.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Window Washer is the most popular, it allows you to delete temporary internet files, files wasting space etc..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast