Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a filewall, and maybe an anti-virus

1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Well I think I get free Norton but I uninstalled that awhile ago for a Kapersky trial because it didn't do jack and I had to get rid of something. After the trial ended I deleted Kapersky and haven't been using anything. I don't visit sketch sites so I think I'm ok, but for certain cracked games (Quake 4, and I hear The Sims 3 which I might try at some point) need you to use a firewall to block the online verification.

I'm a n00b at this stuff. Is there a free (either through pirating or freeware, whichever gets the job done most easily) firewall I could use that will do this job very simply, without much knowledge on my part?

I brought up my lack of antivirus on the thought that maybe there's one I could use that comes packaged with a firewall, but the main thing I want is the firewall, because I don't really use this PC much and an antivirus isn't very high on my priorities. Anyone who's more familiar with this stuff please help point me in the right directions.

Thanks

btw I use Vista, so it has to be compatible with it
    Last edited by T.S.O.L.; 05-19-2009 at 04:49 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    If you connected to the nets, you need an anti-virus. Whenever I reformat, the very first thing I do is download Firefox, then AVG antivirus. I won't do a single thing until I've installed an AV. I used to use Norton years ago and I always trusted Norton to protect my PC, but I hated how it implements it's software into every aspect of the OS. I used Kaspersky too for a short time and got several trojans which wreaked havoc until I reformatted. Needless to say I didn't use it again... AVG has been great thus far.

I haven't used a firewall in years, so someone else will need to deliver advice on that.

IS the stock Vista firewall no good?
    Last edited by Skiz; 05-19-2009 at 05:07 AM.

yo

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    If it was I wouldn't have a clue how to use it to block programs from connecting to the internet.. I guess I'll look into that.

If anyone has used windows firewall could you confirm my assumption on how to block a program from connecting to the internet?

Go to exceptions and add the program (Quake 4) to exceptions. Then uncheck the program (Quake 4) from exceptions and now it will start to block the program from the internet?

Doesn't make sense though cause the program wasn't on the list of exceptions before but it still DRM checked upon launch. But now it's on the exceptions list but unchecked. The list should be called a watch list instead of exceptions because it's very misleading if this is indeed how to work it.
    Last edited by T.S.O.L.; 05-19-2009 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    instal kerpskery internet security 2007 version kis7.0.0.125en tested dont known if this will work on new versions u try & register it as trail
    then use this batch when u have few days left in ur reg to reset ur trail key date

how 2 use
    delete ur old key exit ur kaspersky tray then run this batch then run kaspersky again & reg it trail key if its same date then do this again if u get new 30 days
    enjoy

http://www.2shared.com/file/5849637/...e_reseter.html
    http://www.ziddu.com/download/119663...125en.rar.html

this is best protection for noobs

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    im not that familiar with windows firewall but this appears to show how to block outbound.
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=615711

my suggestion is use eset smart security but change the firewall to policy mode rather than automatic. it means everything is blocked unless you make a rule to allow it. making rules for programs like browser/email client is easy whereas it gets a little harder at least in my opionion with utorrent, irc, and ftp clients but if you want to be sure that the program is blocked this is the best way.

if you want a free software firewall try comodo or jetico (v1 is free)

Last edited by yevgeny; 05-19-2009 at 04:40 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    well, kaspersky's method is a pain in the ass, and i suppose you'd like some software that didn't keep harassing you all the time.
    As for firewall, i'd go for the Agnitum Outpost one, it's a suite that includes an excellent anti-spyware. Most of the problems people refer as "virus" are usually spyware, that's an empiric fact.

I'd stick with those, honestly. Agnitum is in my opinion the most complete firewall+antispyware solution around.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    For firewalls Agnitum Outpost or Online Armor if you don't know what you are doing Comodo if you do.

For anti-virus the best is Avira imo but just about anything that you have ever heard of is at least OK .I use Eset because it's as reliable and light weight as anything.AVG is is free as in really free .

I haven't found a suite that has both a top notch firewall and anit-virus included .

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Kaspersky is what I use. You can set it so that it doesn't ask you for anything. It simply tries to desinfect, if it can't it deletes the infected file. NOD32 seems ok as well, I have it on 2 laptops. Both don't use so much resources like other security software. I used Norton Corporate for a long time but after I installed Kaspersky I scanned my whole PC and it found some stuff.

You don't need firewall software though. Simply get a router if you don't have one and enable the windows firewall. That's all you need.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Sabaku's Avatar Member
    Use Avira Antivir Premium Security Suite( the anttivirus in on the second place in antivir top and the suite includes a firewall)
    It runs smooth and has the best heurestics algorithms.
    Last edited by Sabaku; 05-19-2009 at 05:59 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Great no one's mentioned the ones I will. I've been using it well over a year now.

I am a sucker for software that looks really cool and professional and is effective to boot, all of which can be said about this one. From what I’ve read in multiple sources the level and sophistication of this software’s protection is very high.

Comodo Firewall Free (now change to Comodo Internet Security) it comes with the firewall, and AV, if you don't want the AV you don't have to install it....but Comodo firewall is great, if you choose the Firewall to "custom" policy it will ask you on every program that connects to the internet if you want it to or not. It will even show the "ip" it's going to along with application details...and it has program defense, like if your on the internet and say a website downloads a program without you knowing, which could happen, Comodo will pick that up and ask if you even want anything to change on your system. The firewall is the "free" firewall out there. It's the highest rated on CNET and PC Magazine.

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/index.html

http://www.brighthub.com/internet/se...iews/8752.aspx

here's in depth guide to all the freeware AV's out there
    http://www.freewaregenius.com/2009/0...-a-comparison/

If you use Windows 7, you must, you must, click properties of the installer and tick the box that says run as admin click ok/apply, and then right click and run as admin, it's the only way it will install properly.
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 05-19-2009 at 07:07 PM.
    [center]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast