Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Feral Hosting

Bungholio1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by FransTormer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungholio1 View Post
    I'm looking for someone who ordered a seedbox from Feral hosting to comment on the actual time it took between ordering & receipt.

Feral hosting can quote whatever set up time they want on their website.
    Not sure what you on about m8 but if someone would say "it took 9 hours", we can make a pretty safe bet that after 10 hours you be here screaming again you didn't get the order fulfilled yet.

Feral is quoting the maximum setup-times they have from their supplier; there are a zillion factors that can influence every order ranging from a Feral-admin walking his dog 2 minutes longer to a router at the supplier that breaks down for some reason.

Yeah, I do understand you want a clear answer but no, nothing in life is sure nor is a Feral setup...
    I asked for the time between order & receipt from anyone who has actually had a Feral box set up.

I'm not looking for any guarantees or commitments.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    I payed for a box yesterday but they have them on backorder so it will take at least a couple of days before I get access to it (one of the admins said they would hopefully get the servers within a couple of days).
    Another customer contacted me yesterday and said he had already been waiting three days without any news so it seems like it can take quite a while to get a box set up at the moment.

They seem to be pretty new and the availability will probably (hopefully?) improve once they get settled and get better deals with the provider, which I believe is OVH.

I think it's pretty sneaky to write "availability: 9+" and "setup time: <72hrs" when you might have to wait a week or two before getting a box.
    But apart from that they seem to be really good, they're cheap, I hear they have nice speeds and their IRC support is good.

I'll update this thread with speedtests and stuff once I get access to the box.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    beethoven's Avatar Poster
    i ordered one, and within 15 minutes it was operational.
    but it just depends on your plan, and if they have one available, i guess
    Last edited by beethoven; 08-07-2009 at 10:59 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    lol their whole site is down.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Works just fine for me.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Its back up. Any more reviews?

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    they have good offer i hope they continue i would test their services if i have seen good reviews.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    They seem to be short-staffed so administrative issues might take a while, but Joshua (the main man) is a really friendly and helpful guy.
    I went for the power plan and have tried out some torrents and the speeds are great, I get around 10MB/s but it maxes out at more.

I have however only had it for a couple of hours so I can't really comment on the overall speed. Also, the power plan servers are shared by 10 users each.
    I started using the server pretty heavily and the owner said he would cap me if I used too much bandwidth.

It's kind of understandable since there are other users on the server too, but I still think they should inform of this up front instead of saying that they do not cap any speeds.

All in all, it's a pretty sweet deal if you only intend on using smaller ammounts of bandwidth (for example seeding at music trackers and such).
    If you plan on seeding heavily, I would recommend you choose another supplier (or go with their dedicated plan, but I don't really know how good it is).

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
    I have however only had it for a couple of hours so I can't really comment on the overall speed. Also, the power plan servers are shared by 10 users each.
    I started using the server pretty heavily and the owner said he would cap me if I used too much bandwidth.
    Jeez that sucks.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    I'm not really sure if I understood what he meant, but I visited the IRC channel to ask if it was possible to raise the maximum ammount of connections per torrents and got this reply:
    be careful, if you hog too many resources I will lower them. Number of peers != speed on 100Mbps boxes and beyond
    It's when it gets hit negatively do I start editing .rtorrent.rc files
    The servers are shared by 10 people each, but the owner told me the specs were awesome so I don't really understand why many peers would be such a high strain on the server.
    I can't remember the specs, but I think it was something along the lines of 8GB RAM and double quad processors.
    Last edited by monkeyseat; 08-09-2009 at 08:48 PM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast