Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Incomplete Downloads

Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    If this is one of your 'favs', then your best bet usenet wise is to set up a search thingy at one (or more) of the indexing sites to 'be on the lookout' for when they are posted again. And, from what I saw on a quick look at Newzbin, it probably won't be long.

There are many dvd 'rent by mail' joints in the UK, Netflix clones. If the pricing is about or around the same, you can get discs for < $1/ea on a monthly account (getting them and turning them around same or next day).

But it all depends on your internet costs, the UK and most European countries have VERY dense telecom infrastructures compared to most of the US (things are much closer together/smaller), so pricing and speed is much better overall.

But like I said, simply keep on the lookout.
    I should have asked earlier on, Is there a list of files to be reupped at Newzbin or something?
    Last edited by cnr5; 05-25-2009 at 01:41 AM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    Newzbin is simply an indexing site, one of the oldest and largest, and has all kinds of tools that allow one to 'slice and dice' their search routines.

But it is pay. And you have to get an 'invite' to get it. Cost is fairly low IF you 'top off' your account during the end of the year holidays; if so, then it's around US25 cents a week, or $2/month.

But you could probably simply go to one of the other index sites and 'plug in' your search parameters every month or so. A bit more 'legwork' but doable.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Maybe you should go with a cheaper Newshosting company like Astraweb that doesn't limit you retention or make you pay for SSL.
    [center]

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    Maybe I didn't may it entirely clear in an earlier post, but I tried on Astraweb and the par2 files were there but partially incomplete (of the two I tried, just fer fun). It's 'right at the edge' of the retention capability, right before all of the file 'drops off' the cliff into the bit bucket.

I'm doing most of my 'work' on Astra these days, but have kept a very small account (the smallest) at Giga, plus I pay for access to the indexing server (at Giga) through my news client, NewsRover. So, the total is about a savings of 15/month or so. Plus Astra is a bit more 'stable' on the feed as I'm closer (internet wise) to them vr. Giga.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    I managed to get the rest of the files using a trial on Giganews. Is it worth it to get an account on Giganews like the Bronze or Silver plan to get files that Astraweb can not get?

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cnr5 View Post
    I managed to get the rest of the files using a trial on Giganews. Is it worth it to get an account on Giganews like the Bronze or Silver plan to get files that Astraweb can not get?
    It may not matter since you already got what you needed, but I was able to download this disk successfully with Usenetnow earlier today. Certain parts were corrupted as you know, but I was successfully able to repair it with the given PARs. You can buy weekly unlimited accounts from them for those times when the Astraweb goblins corrupt posts beyond repair!

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    It's not goblins, I would say it's because it's copyrighted work.
    [center]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12