Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sun Finds Way To Make Computers

skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    Sun Microsystems has discovered a way to connect a computer's chips face-to-face rather than linking them through the web of fine wiring currently laid down on circuit boards, a Sun official said.
    By eliminating the wiring, the discovery could speed up data movement by as much as 100 times while reducing power usage, he added.

Full article HERE?.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Is this article some sort of hoax?

I realise it is posted in good faith, but if you follow the link to Sun's web page, then look at Sun's announcements or at their link to press comments about Sun's recent announcements, there is absolutely no mention if this at all.

In any case, it sounds like bullsh*t in the first place.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    nah, its not a hoax theres some more info here they're trying to use capacitive coupling instead of wires.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Hmm, an effect with a range of only a few microns, that means that the interface would have to be awfully close to the surface of the chip, and you would also have to have extremely accurate placement of one chip with respect to the partner chip. Sounds as if it would be easier to physically combine the chips into one device, but perhaps that's the intention. I can see such a device costing megabucks though.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Double Agent
    I would personally like to know how they solve the heat problem...

but it's a good idea

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@26 September 2003 - 11:21
    I would personally like to know how they solve the heat problem...
    Submerged in a liquid nitrogen bath.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    BANNED
    hehe we wont have any more big ass mobo's....but our cases are gonna be filled up with fans lol...

DWk

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I think the days of air cooling will soon be drawing to a close. But this new method doesn't sound like it produces any more heat than equivalent conventional designs, I think the problem will more likely be space on the chip and as lynx said alignment issues in mass production.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by ilw@26 September 2003 - 06:31
    I think the days of air cooling will soon be drawing to a close. But this new method doesn't sound like it produces any more heat than equivalent conventional designs, I think the problem will more likely be space on the chip and as lynx said alignment issues in mass production.
    If not air cooling, then what do you see as the next step?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    water cooling is always coming closer to most users.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast