Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: news readers

I've been using 0.25 altbinz for over a year but would like to have an integrated news *reader*. Using Xnews as newsreader right now. Sounds like UE will do the job but not willing to spend $35 for it.

2. Newsgroups   -   #32
    newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by freealta View Post
    I've been using 0.25 altbinz for over a year but would like to have an integrated news *reader*. Using Xnews as newsreader right now. Sounds like UE will do the job but not willing to spend $35 for it.
    There are some unofficial versions of Xnews that support NZBs (the official version does not)

If you've tried the Usenet Explorer trial version, you might have noticed that it's not hard to "reset the clock" and get another trial.

3. Newsgroups   -   #33
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    I've looked at virtually every reader mentioned in this thread, and each one of them has major limitations. Most don't even run in most versions of windows, require complex setups before doing a single thing, don't support nzb's directly or easily (again, major complex setups), and so on.

Maybe it's just me, but a newsreader these days needs to install straight away, allow one to plug in their news server, grab an nzb, and go.

One should be up and running within a minute. Period. Anything greater, and it shows the programmer had too much time on their hands.

If someone can nominate a program that fits those requirements, speak up.

What are you talking about? Alt.Binz, Newsbin, Newsleecher, and Grabit all do that.

What sort of "major limitations" are you talking about? What functions are you looking for that you aren't finding?

NewsBin runs on all versions of Windows x32 & x64, plus Linux and Mac.

Newsleecher runs on all versions of Windows x32 & x64.

Alt.Binz runs on all versions of Windows x32 & x64, plus Linux.

Grabit runs on all versions of Windows x32 (x64?), plus Linux.

They all support NZBs. They all import or open them automatically so I don't know why you find it difficult. They all have similar setups that only require you enter your basic host information and password.
    Last edited by Skiz; 08-25-2009 at 07:33 PM.

yo

4. Newsgroups   -   #34
    Can somebody give me some thoughts on newsleecher and what makes it especially good? I use SABnzbd and I am very happy with it.

Can I setup rss feeds to automatically dl stuff with NL?

Thanks,

5. Newsgroups   -   #35
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by thadiyan View Post
    Can somebody give me some thoughts on newsleecher and what makes it especially good? I use SABnzbd and I am very happy with it.

Can I setup rss feeds to automatically dl stuff with NL?

Thanks,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...et_newsreaders

If you're happy with SABnzbd then stick with it

Back to your question about RSS feeds: Yes

SABnzbd is much simpler (imo)
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

6. Newsgroups   -   #36
    SABnzbd on my main computer and NZB-O-Matic for tinkering on the road with my netbook.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234