Thread: Astraweb ups payload: $25 now buys 180GB block

newsgroupie
    Astraweb has opened another front in the usenet price war by offering an even better deal on its 'pay by download' block.

180 gigs for $25

I don't know of any other company that offers anything close. (and most NSPs don't even offer block accounts.) This blows away Blocknews 'special offer' of 100GB for $20.

It's great news that Astraweb is still cutting prices in spite of their massive server expansion.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    That is an amazing deal, back in february, I paid 25 dollars for 120 gigs, I have like 112 gigs still left though. I am going to go and buy another block and add to it.
    Thanks for the information.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    This is fantastic!, great competition indeed.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    This is great. I bought a 120gig in February for $25, and will soon be in need of some more.

I find buying the unlimited accounts a bit dangerous....as I feel this strange obligation to download as much as I can within the time limit bought, which really just makes me end up with hundreds of gigs worth of stuff that I didnīt really want that much in the first place

With this blocks you have to consider a bit more before grabbing it.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by Solariz View Post
    This is great. I bought a 120gig in February for $25, and will soon be in need of some more.

I find buying the unlimited accounts a bit dangerous....as I feel this strange obligation to download as much as I can within the time limit bought, which really just makes me end up with hundreds of gigs worth of stuff that I didnīt really want that much in the first place

With this blocks you have to consider a bit more before grabbing it.
    Ah, I do to, but that's why they invented delete....hell most of my shit is TV shwos...not DVD ripped ones, just capped ones...
    [center]

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Very nice deal. I also get the block accounts since newsgroups isn't my only downloading source. Thanks for the update.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    NZB Looter
    I find 90% of usenet stuffs are craps unlimited is only for greedy newbies would never get enough of it kinda of reminds me where I once was though

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Are you serious, $11 a month? Who can't afford that...I'm not a newbie, and I don't go buck wild, but I like to have my 3 month block because money becomes tight, so I buy the block ahead of time....and if you talked to most (who aren't newbies) use the unlimited plans. How can you even say 90% have you looked at any NZB sites of lately? They mirror all the crap thats on torrents, and I say 90% will disagree with your outrageous statement.
    [center]

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    newsgroupie
    I collect block accounts and currently have one from three different (backend) providers.

Non-expiring block accounts can be useful in many ways. Such as a fill server for ISP-supplied newsgroups or as a backup to a low-retention server.

A lot of times a file will get deleted from one provider but will still be available on another. (though lately it seems that Astraweb has been getting hit with a lot more takedown notices than before)

For anyone who downloads less than about 80 gigs/month, this block account would work out to be even less expensive than Astraweb's $11 unlimited account.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    I haven't noticed any of Astrawebs stuff being removed, the only thing I came across was a Batman movie from awhile ago and the X-Men movie (workprint) but somebody already re-upped it.
    [center]