Thread: Yo, clocker...

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Whatcha think about this desktop?

It looks like a solid deal to me, but then again what do I know?

http://austin.craigslist.org/sys/1224939605.html

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Not bad, not bad at all.

The "fresh install" of Office and XP are worth precisely nothing unless he's including the COA along with them.

The hardware looks fine.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Yeah, not at all worried about Office. Open office would do me just as well.

I'd put Windows 7 on it right away if I snatch it up.

I'm at the end of my rope with this XPS 700 I have. I've sat and watched one of my 7900GTXs sit without ever being used. I can't change any of the boot order, clock speeds, etc... The BIOS is pretty much locked up and uneditable. Looking around, it looks like I could probably get rid of this Dell for no less than $600. I've seen them listed for as much as $1K but I'm not sure if they're actually selling at that price.

I've been poking around at snatching up a PC off craigslist as there are some decent deals to be found.

Considering that I play games only on occasion (might download one per year) and my main PC usage these days consists of internet, Photoshop, and lots of media (PC is a DVR and plays 1080 movies on the TV), would you recommend buying something like what I linked in the first post or trying to build my own?

I think getting something like what I linked would be just right.

EDIT: btw, the only reason I mention how much the XPS's are selling for was just to say there is that much less that I'll have to spend; not that I can't spend more than that or anything.
    Last edited by Skiz; 06-21-2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

yo

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    ... would you recommend buying something like what I linked in the first post or trying to build my own?

I think getting something like what I linked would be just right.
    It's not the machine I would spec myself, but that really means very little.

I've never used a XFX mobo and have zero experience with the newer nVidia chipsets.
    The harddrive is hardly a "premium component" either.

Looks like a CoolerMaster case, which is OK.

He doesn't mention what kind of cooling components he used, so I'd assume stock.

It's a tough call Skiz.
    $500 is not outrageous for what it is and there's certainly something to be said for "plug-n-play".
    On the other hand, if you're capable of building your own, you can't beat the total personalization that's possible and the safety of knowing what inside and where it came from.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I've got the same processor, similar motherboard (lower model, 680i, but same brand), same graphics card.
    This is definately fast enough for what you need.

$500 isn't bad, but skizo can you not just buy a new motherboard, and possibly processor, maybe case, and build a computer reusing the good parts of your current computer?

edit: Just realized you said you could sell your current pc for $600. So it would not be worth doing what I just said above.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Bought and paid for.

Talked him to $475. The guy works at a computer shop or something. The wire management inside is immaculate and there isn't a spec of dust inside. I'd say I did alright.

He put Vista Ultimate x64 on there as well. Not even a stolen copy either as I got the disc. I think I'll sell that.

yo

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Good for you, S.
    Hope it works out.