Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Detection of File Sharing by Authorities

telling him to use ssl or any different service or protocol is useless. You are connected through their network so they monitor what you do to some degree. chances are your net admins aint clever enough to packet sniff unencrypted data to a meaningful output they can use. If they can then they really should be in a better job. So there main think is usage stats.

From the sounds of it you have had XP on your shares where it was detected, they have investigated it (if you've got ETH0 or WiNK in the folder name they probably didnt even need to check the logs), possibly checked bandwidth consumption and therefore you've been banned.

Any decent admin will have checked the logs nevertheless and if you go to um they will have these logs and you wont have to just explain why you have a copy of XP but also provide a damn good reason for the excessive BW usage (if your heavy on p2p that is).

So yeah it's hit and miss. For 100 quid id probably say just pay up. In installments if you cant afford anything else. But as i said it all depends on your net admins, if there dumb or wasnt in a good mood that day thyey might not have all the evidence id have probably gotten, but if there good you could just be digging a deeper hole.

As for future use, dont download too much in the future and if possible get it from ftp/sftp/ssh/http/https connections. At least that way you can say you was watching an online movie or downloading a backup of your remote backup system.

Ofcourse if it was me i'd invest in an old sat dish, modify it, stick it on top of a cupboard in your room and hijack someones wi-fi connection. Do it properly and you can pick up quite a long range on wi-fi depending on your location and the weather

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    wernerbenn
    if you are fined than what to do....
    you should pay for it...
    i suggest first you talk with your dean then take any decision.

Free File Sharing – TeraDepot.Com
    Last edited by wernerbenn; 07-06-2009 at 10:40 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123