Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: server.lu Throttling

Seedbox Provider

Question Mark

Has anyone else noticed throttled speeds on their servers? I confirmed it on 1 of my boxes, transfer 1200MB file to an OVH server never went past 4.2MB/s and dropped as low as 600KB/s. It took 18 minutes and 30 seconds to transfer.

Same server upload to another server.lu box got 7-9MB/s and was done in 2:39 so much better, reliable speed.

I've had other people show me their vnstat & MRTG, showing speeds never going above 3-4MB/s 24 hours a day for the last 3 days or so.

FAQ says "100 MBIT/s unmetered servers on average can transfer between 10-15TB per month outbound and 20-25TB inbound. The bandwidth allocation is not guaranteed/dedicated, and is supplied on a best-effort basis, which may result in some slowdowns during peak traffic times."

Is peak time 24 hours a day? There's no mention that intentional bandwidth shaping will be implemented but based on the tests and speeds, it seems to be the case.

Unrelated but the FAQ above that is about unavailability and knowing the facts. Several M servers have lost connectivity over the past few days, sometimes for a few hours & atleast 3 people reported faults. Still, nobody knows why it's happening, what the solution is or if one has been found yet. There isn't any disclosure or finding the truths that are passed on to the customer.

So is there throttling in place that nobody knows about or something else happening? Further up in the FAQ "...and similar are not covered by our unmetered services and that misuse will automatically incur a connectivity restriction after prior notification." If there is restrictions in place, nobody has been notified prior by any means.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    GalacticRhino
    I'm in the same boat here, and have spoken to a few others who have also noticed it today. Some of my servers haven't gone past 20 mbit (!!) in three days.

I have definitely had no contact about it - the thing that really pisses me off is that issues that have been ongoing for over a week (eg. a server which has been down) STILL haven't been fixed, yet I noticed over the weekend that MORE of my servers got throttled... great support there from server.lu, they have time to slow servers down to a near useless halt but don't have time to deal with urgent tickets.

It would appear all mentions of their "seedbox policy" (sharing 1 gbit between 4 servers) have been removed, as far as I can see. This isn't that anyway, this is a HARD limit at ALL times - there is no bursting, there is nothing. I definitely didn't receive prior notice, nor have a received a response about my questioning of it.

As far as I am concerned, server.lu are just shooting themselves in the foot once again - especially with this move. They call seedbox customers 'volatile', then they go and outright limit us when we are not even using as much bandwidth as the FAQ states is acceptable (between 10 and 15 TB, outbound - a lot of my servers didn't do those kinds of data, yet are throttled). I wonder what market they are appealing to now... their support is too poor to be considered by big businesses (seriously, if you are in charge of IT and you have a server down for over a week, with no sign of anything happening, how do you explain that to management?), their prices are too high for average enthusiasts and the amount of bandwidth they are now (seemingly) going to provide is too low for their original market of unmetered servers. This is definitely going to be an interesting discussion, and probably will become an interesting milestone on server.lu's history, for better or worse...

(I have signed up to post because emailing them has, once again, proven futile)
    Last edited by GalacticRhino; 06-02-2009 at 02:44 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Seedbox Provider
    I have a DS1000 that drops out under load, took about a week to get a reply and it said "It's fixed". That was the reply. No investigation, no details of the problem, the cause, the solution. So when it crashed within 24 hours I had no idea what the next step was

We have found out its a kernel panic so they said to fix our kernel, we've replied saying we're using their kernel, still waiting :|

But that's side tracking from my original point You got me riled up lol

After calling daily and emailing a few times as well I managed to get some other issues resolved, got a few more to sort out this week. When I have hit that "breaking point" the responses you get are good and do they work to fix it, but otherwise it's pulling teeth. Maybe it's because I logged so many tickets, I don't know
    Last edited by Six66Mike; 06-02-2009 at 03:00 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    i have noticed it aswell. but luckily for me i purchased a box yesterday from a diff provider. so if they make this a habbit i'll be in the clear.

sucks for you guys tho
    Last edited by eMoneyBags; 06-02-2009 at 06:44 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    I have the ds2000 and i noticed my upload never going above 3MB/s so I opened a ticket about it and got the response: Hello, Our system detected that you were using an average of 50Mbit/s, and your port was limited to 30Mbit/s.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Seedbox Provider
    Well atleast you got a response I suppose lol. It would be nice if this was actually mentioned somewhere in writing to let people know, or at the very least an email sent when it happens. Pretty disgraceful.

/edit/: Apparently now it could be a bad config on new hardware if 1 person is right, or if another person is right the FAQ they had temporarily on their site saying heavy users will share a VLAN & 100mbit connection has happened. Still no clarification though, don't even know if its intentional or a bad config.
    Last edited by Six66Mike; 06-03-2009 at 01:05 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Same problem for me, my upload speed never gets about 600kb/s. :/
    No replies to tickets.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    well i got a message from them that said: Hello, We've checked the group where your machine was in, and we found out that the ports were not configured properly. Can you confirm a better speed now? Regards.
    (lol they responed to my closed ticket-nice that they did though.)
    since then ive noticed it go to about what it was before this all happened.
    Last edited by djfye; 06-03-2009 at 07:16 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Seedbox Provider
    Been testing mine all afternoon, doing the last few now and found a couple that are pretty bad. Gonna send in the server names to have them look to find out why. One is going around 400KB/s the other 1MB/s. Seems like some may be stuck at 5MB/s but others were 7-9MB/s which is closer to what we're expecting.
    Last edited by Six66Mike; 06-04-2009 at 01:18 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    just borrow this thread, hopes Itīs OK for TS. cannot create own threads yet.

1; if I order a server @ Server.lu, do you think they can create it for two users witch each IP? Me and my friend wanna share.

2: which linux dist is best? debian? ubuntu?

3: Is still Server.lu worth the money?

we have about 80 euro every moth to spend on a seedbox - any other companies that itīs good for us?

sorry for bad english.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast