Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would happen if..

n00bz0r's Avatar Say what? BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by hagckz0r View Post
    I see some ppl who LAWL at this thread, I suggest you should try to answer. I am pretty sure that if your favorite tracker ceases to exist because of such a reason many of you would come out and ask why there wasn't anyone else that could take care of tracker.
    well..since you ask
    generally, trackers are well planned.
    Though the possibility of such things happening cant be ruled out,but, there are a few measures that can be implemented.
    As sear said, if only the owner has the access to DB, its gone. The tracker is dead.
    If the DB is accessible to the all the sysops, DB can be moved and the tracker can be revived. Since sysops are generally trusted by the tracker owners, giving them axx to the DB should not be a problem. In other words, the tracker would continue to function. Of course, the loss of a staffer would definitely be felt by the members.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    ussually a couple of people have access to a database. So its unlikely to happen

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    If I were to die, I'd still maintain the tracker from behind the veil of the underworld. It would also mean that I could not be prosecuted, because I'd already be dead.

This is a very interesting point, actually. Are there any dead SysOps and Tracker owners who would like to add their pennies worth? Could be a future trend to get out of fines and jail time. Imagine the Feds banging away at the door, while you point a loaded gun to your temple. BANG!!! No more case. No more case means you are free to run the site from the comfort of Hell (turn the heating down a bit please) or Heaven (Can I up this torrent before we have sex again?).

I think you might have hit on the next generation of avoidance techniques, hagckz0r.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Poster
    if i owned a tracker and was diagnosed with a terminal illness. i'd pay in advance for 10 years and allow my staffers to control it for me. no chance of prosecution

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Intr4ns1t's Avatar Pro-antinegativist BT Rep: +4
    Generally speaking there are at least two people with axx to the db at any site, namely the owner and the coder. So barring both of those people dying in one fubar set of coincidences, or being one and the same individual, I can't see the possibility of it dying straightaway.

Even without the monetary info, it's not a huge effort to just switch to a new account for paying the bills. I would hazard a guess that very few of the paypal accounts that pay for said bills are pointing at any individuals real information You would be out whatever the balance on the existing account is if that info isn't shared among the owner/owners and sysops, and that would be a burden on many smaller sites, but not insurmountable.
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint
    Think 9 is the new 10.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Benjamin's Avatar Poster
    First of all hagckz0r thanks for the laugh
    I think that the staff would get in touch with a relative/friend of the sysop and take control of the site.
    Last edited by Benjamin; 06-06-2009 at 04:48 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Have family ship his PC to the tracker's next of keen.People know people,a good hacker should be able to hax0r the paypal together with the other passworded stuff(KHG) ...especially with scT,I wouldn't let the paypal just die.

But its prudent for the sysop to have at least a family member who is aware of his thieving activities just incase of anything lol.
    Next dumb idea...

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    hagckz0r's Avatar Dreams Come True BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Thanks for your answers, I'm pretty satisfied now. Loved the serious answers and hilarious ones too!

This thread can be closed now.
    Last edited by hagckz0r; 06-06-2009 at 08:44 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    OK, so we have established that if the sysop dies the tracker will probably be ok.

But what if the sysop invited all the staffers, plus all his/her relatives to a party, and then an explosion killed everyone - what would happen to the tracker then?
    Last edited by wheeloftime; 06-06-2009 at 03:52 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeloftime View Post
    OK, so we have established that if the sysop dies the tracker will probably be ok.

But what if the sysop invited all the staffers, plus all his/her relatives to a party, and then a bomb went off at the party and killed everyone - what would happen to the tracker then?
    the tracker would continue to work as long as the server bill is paid
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast