Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I'm Gonna Get An Amd

Keikan's Avatar ........
    So i'm gonna get an amd, what should i do for cooling? I don't exactly got that much cash so i was thinking of getting like a thermaltake 9 socket a heatsink and just a regular case fan, is that good or bad?
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Thermaltake certainly have good cooling, but the fans tend to be a bit noisy when the temperature gets up.

Don't be fooled by the 17db at 1300rpm, that's only at 20C, and I've never seen a cpu running at that temp. I think 40-45C is much more likely, which would give a fan speed of about 4000rpm. Since max speed is 4800rpm, with 48db noise output (small jet engine?) you can expect the average noise output to be around 41db, and that is NOISY.

Shop around, find one that gives good cooling without blasting your eardrums.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    if you get a retail cpu, you'll get a hsf included with it...whether it'll be up to the job is another matter

if you're buying a separate heatsink, you should be looking for a copper heatsink
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@27 September 2003 - 03:14
    if you get a retail cpu, you&#39;ll get a hsf included with it...whether it&#39;ll be up to the job is another matter
    the "stock" HSF that comes with retail Athlons is fine. maybe not the best, but it is definitely adequate. i get temperatures between 40C and 50C with it (combined with arctic silver thermal paste)-- not spectacular, but well within safe operating temperature.

prolly the only reason you&#39;d need a better one is if you&#39;re trying to build a "quiet PC" or you intend to overclock the CPU.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    "AMD in a box" systems include the micro-processer as well as an approved fan.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    The stock AMD coolers that you get in a retail box are ok. You also get a much longer warranty if you buy that vs. OEM.

If you want, you can make a stock AMD cooler very quiet too.

http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showto...1516&hl=adaptor

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    I heard heatsinks that come with amd athlon xp&#39;s were not very good, so i decided to get a thermaltake 9 but how loud could it be? My computer is pretty loud right now, i think it&#39;s because of the case fan. I just want it not deepfrying when i&#39;m playing a game or encoding mpegs and i have a budjet to stick to so thermaltake9 heatsink and it&#39;s copper. http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v9.htm

"Smart and silent"

PS: How are you soppse to make that stock cooler thing? Looks complicated, I can&#39;t build anything.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Keikan@27 September 2003 - 13:46
    I heard heatsinks that come with amd athlon xp&#39;s were not very good, so i decided to get a thermaltake 9 but how loud could it be?

PS: How are you soppse to make that stock cooler thing? Looks complicated, I can&#39;t build anything.
    you heard wrong. the heatsink that comes with an athlon xp is fine.

the "stock cooler"/"stock heatsink" is the standard heatsink that comes with the CPU.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+27 September 2003 - 15:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC @ 27 September 2003 - 15:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Keikan@27 September 2003 - 13:46
    I heard heatsinks that come with amd athlon xp&#39;s were not very good, so i decided to get a thermaltake 9 but how loud could it be?

you heard wrong. the heatsink that comes with an athlon xp is fine.

the "stock cooler"/"stock heatsink" is the standard heatsink that comes with the CPU. [/b][/quote]
    Wouldn&#39;t it be better to get the thermal take anyways? Because i don&#39;t want my cpu deepfrying when playing a game...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Look at this thread: http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=69811

It&#39;s the one about system temps. Look at my post there and you tell me if the stock cooler is not good enough. Take into consideration that the fan is really quiet also.

I thought that was the point of that thread. It shows how to make one of those &#39;Fan adaptors&#39;. If you are unable to follow those instructions then I think you can find one that&#39;s already made. I&#39;ll let you do the research on how or where to find one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast